Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new road bike in the $1-2K price range. I tried a GT GTR series 1 at PBK last night, Al + carbon stays. Nice bike, but I found it too long across the top tube, and they said it couldn't be adjusted enough to make it a decent ride for me. So does anyone know bikes that may be somewhat shorter across the top? I guess I have short arms.

I've been looking at the Motobecane sprint at bikesdirect.com but I'm a little reluctant to buy online if fitting's going to be an issue.

Thanks for any pointers.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
What size frame was it that you tried? What size stem was on it? What are your proportions/body measurements?

Really not enough info in your post to give you a valuable response.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I agree that we'd need more info to offer some viable options, but 1) I give PBK credit for not trying to 'make' the bike fit that you were interested in and 2) I suggest being a little more than reluctant to buy online, considering you suspect you're proportioned 'short arms'. Not knowing your reach requirements would make picking a frame size a pure guess.

One brand worth checking out might be Marin's Natural fit. It's basically a WSD based geo, but with a better marketing term. Some guys have shorter reach requirements (thus the need for shorter TT's) but don't like pink or purple bikes. :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
What are the geometry and build specs of your current bike? How long have you been riding? Approximate body measurements: inseam, height, etc ...will help the experienced fitters here.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Kuma601 said:
What are the geometry and build specs of your current bike? How long have you been riding? Approximate body measurements: inseam, height, etc ...will help the experienced fitters here.
This is very important. If you're just starting out, your core strength will build, and it probably won't feel too big after too long.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm of the long torso, short leg type! The best money I've spent was at a LBS that spent 2 hours on a fitting with the purchase of the bike. I've had zero knee, back and shoulder problems. I just went for a touch-up fit, as I've purchased new shoes, pedals and seat since the original fitting. I was close, but it felt like putting on an old shoe when we make two <1/4 inch adjustments.

It can feel long if your seat is in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry not to respond sooner - I had some site problems.

I'm 52 yo, 5'9" with 30" inseam in bike shoes, so I've been looking at 54 cm frames. I've been riding all my life, but have been on a hybrid Giant for commuting for the past 10 years or so. Before that, I rode an Al Trek. I went on a couple of long rides this summer and realized a) how much fun long rides are and b) how much more fun they would be on a more reasonable bike. I'm pretty fit in general (jzmarathon should give you a clue as to my main sport). So while I haven't been riding road bikes lately, I do know how it's supposed to feel, and that one wasn't right.

I'm looking for a bike for 30-100 mile rides, and want this to be a bike that I keep for a while. In other words, I'm willing to commit some bucks to this, although with the mileage I expect, not too outlandishly.

Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jzimarathon said:
Sorry not to respond sooner - I had some site problems.

I'm 52 yo, 5'9" with 30" inseam in bike shoes, so I've been looking at 54 cm frames. I've been riding all my life, but have been on a hybrid Giant for commuting for the past 10 years or so. Before that, I rode an Al Trek. I went on a couple of long rides this summer and realized a) how much fun long rides are and b) how much more fun they would be on a more reasonable bike. I'm pretty fit in general (jzmarathon should give you a clue as to my main sport). So while I haven't been riding road bikes lately, I do know how it's supposed to feel, and that one wasn't right.

I'm looking for a bike for 30-100 mile rides, and want this to be a bike that I keep for a while. In other words, I'm willing to commit some bucks to this, although with the mileage I expect, not too outlandishly.

Thanks
My suggestion is to visit some reputable LBS's, chat about your concerns (re: fit), intended uses, cycling experience (as you offered here) and have them suggest some brands/ models. From there they can size and fit you to the bikes and send you out on test rides, This, IME is the best way to determine your preferences in fit/ feel, ride and handling.

Regarding your comment about looking at 54cm frames, I would suggest forgetting the number written on the label affixed to frames. Snce there are no standards for measuring to determine frame sizes in the industry, brand a's 54 is brand b's 56. That given, because you don't know your sizing requirements, leave that determination to the fitter. The experienced fitters will take some measurements and/ or recognize how you're proportioned and select bikes with geo that will better accomodate them.

In your price range, you have a wealth of quality bikes to choose from. Two that come to mind that have relatively short reach are Bianchi and LOOK, but there are others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts