Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well, my problems seems a bit common as I started to read on the internet about it, as my lever is able to cope with 2 and 3 wheelchain, there is always a change to force it to the 3rd one without having actually it, like in my case. I now that the only way out will be replacement of the lever, but I don't want to get the same lever and end up with the same problem in the future, so I'm considering upgrade to a better lever for the left side, or even replace both as seems a bit difficult to buy them separated. Also seems the ST-4501 is designed only for 2 wheelchain, so this problem could be avoided but who knows if it is going to work exactly as it says?

Could you guys advise me on a good upgrade? I've found a single st-4501 left side lever for about £70-80, but I'm really considering to upgrade to something better, but I just don't want to waste money on something I don't need. The bicycle is used for diary commuting (18 miles) and occasional weekend usage. I was thinking about ultegra, do you guys recon its a good idea to use a better left lever on my set up? Thank you very much for your help!!!

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
As long as the front derailleur is adjusted properly with the high limit screw, you won't have any issues with your shifter. Just remember, if you make a single shift with the front lever, and it doesn't shift, don't try to shift it again.

Tiagra is very durable and works well when setup properly. Make sure everything is set up correctly.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
I'm using the 4400 tiagra shifters since 2006 and they worked fine so far. I'm also using all 3 positions of the left hand shifter (2 on the small ring, 1 on the big) they have seen around 12000 km so far I think

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frdfandc said:
As long as the front derailleur is adjusted properly with the high limit screw, you won't have any issues with your shifter. Just remember, if you make a single shift with the front lever, and it doesn't shift, don't try to shift it again.

Tiagra is very durable and works well when setup properly. Make sure everything is set up correctly.
That was the problem, I changed the gear but it sort of didn't move the derailleur all the way, so I did the most stupid thing possible, I force it :/

I didn't realize that it was so frail, but anyway, it is done now.

I'm thinking about getting the st-4501 version as it supports only dual chainwheel and I won't be able to break it again.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Shimano Tiagra 4500 was only made one way and that was to be compatible with both double and triple applications. In triple setup, there seems to be no problem but many with doubles have had the same complaint. Shimano 105 5600 supposedly has the same issue since it too is designed for both double and triple. Oddly enough the old 105 5500 group had separate shifters for the double and triple applications. Anyway, Ultegra would end your dilemna.You can get a triple specific Ultegra or better yet, look for an NOS 105 5501 triple shifter for considerably less.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
If you do need a new front shifter, check Ebay. Best place. You can also look for the upper end ones too.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
terbennett said:
Shimano Tiagra 4500 was only made one way and that was to be compatible with both double and triple applications. In triple setup, there seems to be no problem but many with doubles have had the same complaint. Shimano 105 5600 supposedly has the same issue since it too is designed for both double and triple. Oddly enough the old 105 5500 group had separate shifters for the double and triple applications. Anyway, Ultegra would end your dilemna.You can get a triple specific Ultegra or better yet, look for an NOS 105 5501 triple shifter for considerably less.

Shimano made a change earlier this year on the Tiagra/R700/105 5600 left front shifters. If the bike is equipped with a double, the front shifter was a double. And like wise for a triple. Now, when the LBS calls Shimano for a warranty replacement, Shimano will ask is the bike equipped with a double or triple. You will get the appropriate shifter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts