Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was planning to get a Six13 5 (or 3) but a friend of mine tried to dissuade me. He told me about problems with the connection between the aluminum and carbon connections getting loose.

Upon my friend's suggestion, I tried the Scott CR1. I also got to try a Cervelo Soloist Team. I actually liked the Cervelo more. But now I'm still wondering if I should still stick to the six13, as I've tested it 3 times (albeit on just rides around the block or a small park) and it felt the most natural of the bikes I've tried. (The Cervelo's comes in second place.)

The bike shop sales guy seemed to be biased to the Cervelo. He said he raced on six13's but he told me the same problem that happens around the alu-carbon point of connection...

· Registered
33 Posts
Mine is brand new, with only 15 miles or so on it, so I hope this isnt true. I haven't heard anything about it before. So far, I love mine!!!!

Although, I did just realize that my Six13 5 calls for Shimano wheels, I am 99% sure I have Mavics though. I will have to determine which ones, I hope its an upgrade!!! Being a newb, I would have NO idea!

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hokiesean24 said:
Although, I did just realize that my Six13 5 calls for Shimano wheels, I am 99% sure I have Mavics though. I will have to determine which ones, I hope its an upgrade!!! Being a newb, I would have NO idea!
I've heard that the Mavics (Aksiums, right?) are roughly equivalent to the Shimanos. Actually, the Aksiums are spec'd on the higher model, so maybe you're in better shape. But I've only read forums and reviews and I'm a newbie like you...

· Registered
305 Posts
mhcarlos said:
Hi,

I was planning to get a Six13 5 (or 3) but a friend of mine tried to dissuade me. He told me about problems with the connection between the aluminum and carbon connections getting loose.
That was a problem with the 2005 model with 3 tubes of carbon. Do a search, there were enough threads about it!

· Registered
1,894 Posts
The frame carry a lifetime warrenty beside Cannondale would upgrade you to Super Six if they are phasing out Six13 next year.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my Six13 with a couple of crashes mixed in. The Six13 frame is doing perfectly well.

· Registered
33 Posts
Just to update: My Six13 5 was ordered last Monday, came in on Wednesday and we assembled it on Thursday. I just went and verified, it did come with Mavic Aksium Race wheels vs the Shimano WH-RS-10 wheels that were specified on the bike. I have no idea as to whether or not they are any better, but the are the specified wheels on the Six 13 3.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Wow that was fast Cannondale must have plenty in stock.

· Registered
713 Posts
I've owned two 2006 Six13 frames, put a few thousand km's on each, no problems whatsoever. They are really great frames that were Cdale's top of the line just a couple of years ago. And their weight is pretty damn close to their current top frames.

· Banned
328 Posts
I have the 2006 six 13 and I just got a 2008 System Six and might be selling the System Six as I like the ride of the six 13 better. I put about 5k miles per year on this bike and it has been nothing but stellar. If something does happen to the frame, and I doubt it will, CDale has some of the best warranty in the industry. I plan on using this bike for another five years or so and riding all winter long. If something happens, new bike, if not, then the overall price on the bike is very low.

you will be nothing but happy with this frame. BTW, I am 6'3" and 190 pounds, so I put some stress on these things and CDales just hold up. I had a trek on year and could flex that thing any direction I wanted to.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gibson00, velomonkey -- thanks for the feedback! I think I'll take another six13 for a spin again.

I kinda wish I can test ride all three bikes on my short list (CR1, Soloist Team and six13) in one bikeshop.

· Registered
713 Posts
mhcarlos said:
gibson00, velomonkey -- thanks for the feedback! I think I'll take another six13 for a spin again.

I kinda wish I can test ride all three bikes on my short list (CR1, Soloist Team and six13) in one bikeshop.
I can't speak to the CR1, but I personally wouldn't choose the Soloist team (we're talking the aluminum frame, yes?). The ones I've seen are rattly, not super light, and kind of plain looking paint. Plus the geometry doesn't work for everyone, whereas Cdale and Scott have a more standard geometry.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Can you provide in details in which way Six13 is better than System Six ? Thx

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.