Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my latest and greatest manager came onboard, he wanted everyone to join linkedin. So I did. All of my, “your stupid because you don’t know my job and I don’t know your job because it’s not important” peers invited me to connect to them - blah. Signing up was the first and last time I was on linkedin. That was two years ago.

This week, one of the Moms, whose kid is in the same grade as mine, invited me to be one of her connections. (NOT KODE, repeat NOT KODE!) I know the dad, the kid sorta, but couldn’t pick mom out of a line up. The weird thing is the invitation came to my personal email address. My linked in account forwards to my work address. So I’m thinking she didn’t find through linkedin.

To compound the confusion, her line of work is related to mine, but she wouldn’t know that by browsing at my profile (more not kode). She probably got my email address from a football, baseball, or soccer mass emails. But how would she know there was a professional connection? The only reasonable explanation is, she thought the email address was my wife’s and any professional connection is a coincidence. Everybody loves the wifie (sigh, get your mind out of the gutter).

Without thinking, I accepted. When I browsed her connections, I found people in related industries and some who I knew from the community - all doctors, lawyers, and indian chiefs. My profile is, I have a job…today. Awesome! I better fluff and buff the profile. I’m thinking Wile E. Coyote genius. No wait, SUPER GENIUS! I like the sound of that.

The question is, what do people do on linkedin and why? Anybody a member? (there’s some kode for ya)

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
What in god's name are you talking about?

joe

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Nice indirect Dylan reference.

I'm on it but about where you are. Connected to my old industry and not out of school for my new. I think it's basically just facebook without the personal stuff which I could see being pretty useful.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JoeDaddio said:
What in god's name are you talking about?

joe
Dude, I know it's confusing because there is no code, but Linkedin (linked in) is a professional networking site. Don't be confused by the title. :rolleyes:

·
12,638 Posts
immerle said:
Dude, I know it's confusing because there is no code, but Linkedin (linked in) is a professional networking site. Don't be confused by the title. :rolleyes:
In his defense, after OEH's performance last night, thread titles may be misleading...

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have a former classmate on there who i want to contact, but i refuse to pay to be able to do that. seemed lame.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There a a few professional networking sites that work the same way - 'The Spoke' is one thta comes to mind. I've got a LinkedIn account, but I'm only connected to people at my company, which is pretty lame.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
weltyed said:
either:
a) tell your wife so she gets mad at you now
b) dont tell your wife so she finds out and then gets mad
No, no.
The wife reads all of my email.
Thank you mail.app.
She called me at work to explain who this woman was.
Oh yeah, so and sos mom.
He played soccer right?
No fear of subterfuge here.

·
12,638 Posts
tomk96 said:
i have a former classmate on there who i want to contact, but i refuse to pay to be able to do that. seemed lame.
I think you're talking about another website.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skidoo said:
There a a few professional networking sites that work the same way - 'The Spoke' is one thta comes to mind. I've got a LinkedIn account, but I'm only connected to people at my company, which is pretty lame.
Big ditto here.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
immerle said:
The question is, what do people do on linkedin and why? Anybody a member? (there’s some kode for ya)
I've been a member of it, but have no clue what value it really has. It might help if I actually put some time and useful info in my profile. Consider it an online business card with professional connections.

I forgot about it until last week when a former team mate sent an invite to be a contact (not c()d3). Suddenly, several other names, including a few pro bike racing buddies showed up as possible network connections.

I guess I'll have to get my sh*t together now. I'm just a temp worker, so I should take advantage of it.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Henry Porter said:
I think you're talking about another website.
maybe user error. i just checked and it was for "InMail". they wanted me to upgrade my acct.

i found i should try to add him to my network. (or i think).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tig said:
I've been a member

I guess I'll have to get my sh*t together now. I'm just a temp worker, so I should take advantage of it.
Yeah, all of you engineers should get off your dead azzs and get jobs. :)
Sheesh. When one of our LAN/WAN guys leave, they have jobs the next week.
I don't know if they're better jobs, but they're jobs.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Funny you should ask this. It is quite timely. In my almost new status of being 'unemployed' (tomorrow is my official last day).... a lot of other people in my same boat have started pinging me as a contact. I talked to a few recruiters in the area and they both asked if I was in LinkedIn. So, Ive done my diligence and even joined a group called: "cyclists hiring cyclists" or something of that nature. However, nothing yet has come of it.

I really don't know yet how to fully utilize it for riches and fame, but if you guys know any secrets I am all ears.

I have 31 contacts. Some of the people I have contacts with have over 2000.... jeez.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I joined up recently after getting an invite from someone that I know professionally. I've already made a couple of useful connections, and gotten info from folks who I would never otherwise have been able to find....

·
12,638 Posts
funknuggets said:
Funny you should ask this. It is quite timely. In my almost new status of being 'unemployed' (tomorrow is my official last day).... a lot of other people in my same boat have started pinging me as a contact. I talked to a few recruiters in the area and they both asked if I was in LinkedIn. So, Ive done my diligence and even joined a group called: "cyclists hiring cyclists" or something of that nature. However, nothing yet has come of it.

I really don't know yet how to fully utilize it for riches and fame, but if you guys know any secrets I am all ears.

I have 31 contacts. Some of the people I have contacts with have over 2000.... jeez.
1) Get connected to as many people as possible
2) Ask for recommendations on the site
3) Use your contacts for leads on jobs you would like
4) Good luck

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Hey HP...

Henry Porter said:
1) Get connected to as many people as possible
2) Ask for recommendations on the site
3) Use your contacts for leads on jobs you would like
4) Good luck
Will you be my LinkedIn friend? Will you write me a recommendation?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts