Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a sill question regarding steel Merckx frames:

I read sometimes that people refer to their frame as 'professional' .. 'corsa extra professional'
What does this stand for? And how do I notice whether a frame is 'professional' or not?

Thx

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
it's the name of some models

I call my 85 a "Professional" because that's the model name that Merckx put on it as far as I can tell re Merckx literature, the cadre site, etc.... My Corsa is just that, a Corsa....alas, "just" a Corsa. I feel so sorry for it.
slotnick said:
Maybe a sill question regarding steel Merckx frames:

I read sometimes that people refer to their frame as 'professional' .. 'corsa extra professional'
What does this stand for? And how do I notice whether a frame is 'professional' or not?

Thx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I see

I've seen Merckx frames with a different shape of the 'brake holder' (don't know the official name) at the rear fork. Some of them are triangular with 'merckx' engraved, others appear to be straight (round cross-section) and a small cube where the brake is attached.

Why is this?

Regards,

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think it just has to do with the date of manufacture and perhaps styling. As far as I can tell, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me, Eddy's earlier frames had the round rear brake bridge with the square or circular brake bolt hardware. A bit later on, certainly by the late '80s, the rear brake bridge had become to more angular wedge shaped piece that we all know and love. Why Eddy switched, I have no firsthand knowledge, but it may have had something to do with styling. That leaner, later brake bridge gave his frames a distinctive look. In a world where everyone back then produced a stock SLX frame, they made his look slightly different and (in my opinion) sleek and cool. I could always tell a Merckx in the pack just by looking at that bridge.

Just my two cents.

Robert

·
Registered
412 Posts
The thing about the fork crown is problematic. Merckx catalogs show the older, square lugged crown on some models late into the '80s for sure, and I believe a ways into the early '90s. Many early Century TSXs had the older crown, including a number of actual pro frames from 7-Eleven and other teams. Why Eddy continued to use it I would like to know, but I would guess it had something to do with ride quality over the sloping fork crown. I still remember the 7-Eleven Century TSX hanging from the LBS wall that I should have bought back in '89 or '90: it had internal routing, the angular, wedge shaped rear brake bridge, and the flat topped fork crown, with the whole front fork and stays chromed. It was a thing of beauty, and an interesting mix of older and newer frame elements. I still kick myself for not buying it all these years later...

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.