Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
I am wondering if anyone has any information on Proformance wheels? I got a set of really nice tubulars for really cheap and well, I cannot find any information about them anywhere.

The second picture is not mine, just found a decent picture on an auction that ended a while ago for just the hubs (still had no info)

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke Rim Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Blue Mode of transport

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i wonder if those hubs were manufacturered by another entity, but sport "proformance" decals for secondary marketing purposes.

i assume you found info on the rims.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't see anything special about the wheels. Pretty budget minded; I'm surprised they're tubulars, but based on the 7-speed freewheel I'm guessing 1987 vintage, and tubulars were still pretty popular for racing back then. Most likely made from Asian components.

You might check to see what the freewheel is, sometimes a good condition SunTour New Winner or Regina freewheel is worth some ebay dough. If you can get it off ;-)

I do notice that your front rim is a 32-hole rim, laced with 16-spokes. I don't know how they plugged the extra holes, but it's a pretty kludgy approach to reducing weight.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It looks like the front wheel has 16 spokes. Do you think that it will last? For that amount of spokes, you need a deep section rim.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I do notice that your front rim is a 32-hole rim, laced with 16-spokes... kludgy approach.
eww. a 16h hub in a 32h rim?

I don't see anything special about the wheels... sometimes a good condition ... freewheel is worth some ebay dough.
+1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The holes are filled. The spokes are DT Swiss. The freewheel is the Suntour Microlite. The wheels weigh almost nothing.

They use sealed bearings in them too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.