Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, been a while since I posted here. Thought that I would check back in and show folks my latest project - a steel fixie.

Meet "Fixation"

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Yellow Bicycle frame Infrastructure Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Metal Cylinder Material property Label Bicycle fork

I brazed this up over the summer, and just finished painting it this week.

The Details:

Columbus Chromor tube set, oversize (Schwinn used to use this on some of its touring bikes).

Short point “bikini” lugs

Paragon Machine Works rear track drop outs

Steel, straight legged fork, aero cross section

Hidden rear brake cable (in the top tube)

Geometry – 55cm top and seat tubes, 74 degree head and seat tube, 39 degree offset fork.

Paint

The color selection is from Roth Metalflake - “Custard Pie” flake over a white base. I made up a set of decals – including the young lady – and then clear coated the whole shootin’ match with a two-part catalyzed clear. I also picked out the “windows” on the lugs (fork legs, head lugs, etc.) with Roth pin-striping paint. Roth paint kicks ass.

Stuff

IRD “Defiant Crank Set – 144mm bolt circle, 1/8 inch pitch, 46 tooth ring

Nitto bars, Selle Anatomica seat, Velo Orange two bolt post

Yadda, yadda, yadda

More details and some more pictures can be found here:

https://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com/author/twowheelsnoclue/

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool bike, I like the subtle lady graphic. Did you draw this yourself?
No, I did not. That is a "Petty Girl" drawn by noted pin-up artist George Petty. His pin-up art appeared primarily in Esquire and True magazine back in the '40s and '50s. He was also famous for calendars marketed by Esquire, True and Ridgid Tool Company. His art also appeared in ads for Jantzen swim and athletic wear. Famous dude.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very cool. Build a bike; must be a nice skill set to have. :) Very pretty. Also, dammit. I got about half a paragraph into your 4/1 blog post before i figured it out. :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Your bike looks great and I like the color a lot. It should be a very lively bike to ride. Good work and thanks for the tips on my endless frame building thread. I am figuring you have 5 Taylor bikes in the garage and possibly 1 or more bikes from other brands?. That's a lot of bikes.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am figuring you have 5 Taylor bikes in the garage and possibly 1 or more bikes from other brands?. That's a lot of bikes.
Thanks for the kind words - I am looking forward to seeing yours up and rolling!

The bike situation here at Chateau Velo has gotten a bit out of hand. In addition to the 5 Taylors, we have -

- A Trek mountain bike (an old, heavily hot-rodded 930)
- A Trek Frankenbike rainy day commuter ride (single speed)
- A Cannondale CAAD3, now built as the world's stiffest fixie
- A Bianchi Volpe touring bike, which is the daily commuter
- A titanium Dean road bike (Campy 10 speed - this is a NICE bike)

Then there is the wife's Cannondale mountain bike (old school HedShok, just like Tinker's from back in the day), and a BMX bike that belongs to my son.

Oh, and there were a couple of bikes that I was storing for a friend...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Thanks for the kind words - I am looking forward to seeing yours up and rolling!

The bike situation here at Chateau Velo has gotten a bit out of hand. In addition to the 5 Taylors, we have -

- A Trek mountain bike (an old, heavily hot-rodded 930)
- A Trek Frankenbike rainy day commuter ride (single speed)
- A Cannondale CAAD3, now built as the world's stiffest fixie
- A Bianchi Volpe touring bike, which is the daily commuter
- A titanium Dean road bike (Campy 10 speed - this is a NICE bike)

Then there is the wife's Cannondale mountain bike (old school HedShok, just like Tinker's from back in the day), and a BMX bike that belongs to my son.

Oh, and there were a couple of bikes that I was storing for a friend...

I knew a guy that had 25 bikes. He never got rid of anything and eventually he moved to Oregon and took them all. I hope he has a very large garage.

Myself I have a single bike, and my wife has a bike that she does not ride. If my project turns out to be an ok bike then I was going to make a second one for my son-in-law. However it will live at his house. After that I am not sure if I will make another one or not. I suppose it depends on the finished product. I would be very happy if it was half as nice as your bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts