Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having sold off the Prince Ltd and my other 08 stuff I found myself down to my last Pina :p without a backup or rain bike, so off to eBay I went looking for a bargain. This was what I started with, a "pre-loved" Paris in remarkably good condition. All it really needed was new headset bearings... but I had other plans.
Before

In Paint

Hangin Bits

Ready to Roll

thank you "Nani"

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are just quite the handy man aren't you? Did you paint the frame yourself? Buy a sticker set, or really good paint job?

And the Edge rims? They seem to get more and more common, especially on weightweenies. Are they stiff enough? Lew being the complete opposite to stiff, while Bora being the classic with the perfect balance of lightness and stiffness.

Respecting you racing background and opinions, especially comments on the wheels would be very welcome.

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sacke said:
You are just quite the handy man aren't you? Did you paint the frame yourself? Buy a sticker set, or really good paint job?
Joes Bicycle Painting

I used to restore and paint vintage sports cars as a hobby so Initially I had aspirations of painting the frame myself. Since the frame was such a bargain I decided to use some "Prince money" and have it done professionally. Joe's is located in Monterey County here in Northern California. They do all the paint work for Calfee Design which is located next door. They also do all the paint & finish work for Zipp. They've repaired many of my carbon bikes previously and have been at the state of the art in carbon design for 30+ years. I can't say enough good thinks about Joe's Bicycle Paint.
You definitely get what you pay for at Joe's :thumbsup:

On the Paris, most of the logos are paint. Working closely with Joe, we grabbed photos off the web supplied by myself, then PhotoShopped all the logos and made new decals & stencils. I wanted it to be speced exatly like the the "team issue" which turned out to be a bigger job than Joe or myself assumed. 3 weeks later, I think the results speak for themself? It isn't an exact replica as Joe 'needed' to put his 'signiture' on the job. The difference is in the 'PINARELLO' logos on the top, downtubes & seatube. On the factory version these logos are in black paint, where as on the "JBP" Paris, they are in reverse screen showing off the carbon weave below. A very nice touch, IMHO.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sacke said:
And the Edge rims? They seem to get more and more common, especially on weightweenies. Are they stiff enough? Lew being the complete opposite to stiff, while Bora being the classic with the perfect balance of lightness and stiffness.
Respecting you racing background and opinions, especially comments on the wheels would be very welcome.
Today, the Edge Composite rim, whether it be the tubular or clincher is the 'state of the art' in composite wheel technology. That's not just my opinion, all the cycling media are drooling over these hoops. Google Edge Composites.

Both my Edge Composite wheelsets (38C / 45C) are clinchers so comparing them to any tubular wheelset is apples to oranges. I have a set of 68mm tubulars being built as we speak for my TT bike and I will report back when I recieve them. Also, Edge Composites only manufactures the carbon rim, not the entire wheelset so you/me are free to select your hubs/spokes/nipples and build them to your specs. For me, that offers the ability to create a superior custom wheelset. Build them as stiff as your heart desires. My 38C's incorporate a SL+ PowerTap. My 45C's have the new American Classic 52gram hubs.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sbthaut said:
Beautiful! How much did the paint job run you?
$500 well spent. For the amount of hours spent on this project, that equates to minimum wage for a maximum job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
rhauft said:
$500 well spent. For the amount of hours spent on this project, that equates to minimum wage for a maximum job.
...couldn't stay away from a lonely frame needing a little love, eh? I'm totally impressed by the level of detail and commitment you put on all your bikes, especially the Paris. It looks terrific. What are the cages you're using on both of them?

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the genie said:
...couldn't stay away from a lonely frame needing a little love, eh? I'm totally impressed by the level of detail and commitment you put on all your bikes, especially the Paris. It looks terrific. What are the cages you're using on both of them?
The cages are Winwood
Thanks Genie, (you should see my sock drawer) :) The Paris looked so lonely & homely with nobody bidding on it. I had no choice but to liberate it. I had been looking for a bargain Paris for quite some time, preferably a team issue. Finding one in my size at the right price was the trick. Plan B was having one painted to match. The fact is, call it therapy, but I love building my bikes myself, almost as much as I love riding and racing them. My father was an aeronautical engineer and he could build anything, and we did! It goes back to my childhood when we would restore everything from vintage airplanes & cars to repairing and restoring our household appliances. Since then I've restored vintage Harley's, Hondas, Healy's, Porsche's and of course many many bicycles. My next project is a CX bike, but I've got all summer to work on it.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Lipstick on a pig?

sbthaut said:
Gotta say, after seeing how well that turned out, I'm terribly tempted to throw a Prince paint scheme on my FP3....
just kidding
That would be asking a lot more from any painter, not to mention the misrepresentation you would be perpetrating.
I'd save that money and put it towards your next bike, maybe an actual Prince. Ride your FP3 like you stole it, in all it's glory.
It's a great bike in its own right, top 1%

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nice paint job, totally worth it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rhauft,

I gotta say that you are "The Man" when it comes to true Pinarello love and dedication! It's always a real pleasure staring at the beauty of your builds and the detail. Nice freaking work here! :thumbsup:

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuhgetaboudit said:
I gotta say that you are "The Man" when it comes to true Pinarello love and dedication! It's always a real pleasure staring at the beauty of your builds and the detail. Nice freaking work here! :thumbsup:
Shucks, you're gonna make me blush :blush2:

Here's the next upgrade:

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ceramic headset bearings

No comments about these beautiful 100% ceramic bearings :confused:
Recieved and installed yesterday. They are 1/2 the weight of the standard steel headset bearings they replace.
I'll be testing them out today in the rain. If the headset doesn't explode I'll order a set for the Prince as well.

Total weight of the 55cm Paris/Red/Edge45C: 15.30 lb. = 6.940 kg

Total weight of the 56cm Prince/Red/Edge45C: 15.08 lb. = 6.840 kg.

Both bikes have the exact same components including Speedplay X1 pedals & Winwood cages.
Only exception is the the Fulcrum Racing RS crankset on the Prince. (-63grams)

Net +37 grams (Paris)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

Rhauft what year is this your paris and what price would think be right for a used 07 paris very good condition.

Thanks

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
R_lara said:
Rhauft what year is this your paris and what price would think be right for a used 07 paris very good condition.
05 - Frameset or complete bike? Framesets are selling on eBay for well under $2K depending on condition, size, color etc.
Complete bike would depend build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its a complete bike dura ace 7800 most stem eston handle bar and its selling for 2,500 do you think its a good deal? oh, no wheels but if purchased ill use my Mavic ES

Thanks

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That seems very reasonable. Make sure it's never been crashed/repaired.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts