Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm looking for input for Giro Prolight/Ionis owners to comment on their helmet.
My Atmos is the first generation...pretty old...and I'm going to replace it with either the Prolight or the Ionis. Giro helmets fit me perfectly and I've worn them for years and have no desire to try a different brand.
Thanks,
Kai

·
Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
226 Posts
I understand that you said no other brands, but I am going to mention the S-WORKS. I rode an Atmos for a couple years myself and found that both the prolight and ionos don't fit nearly as well as did my atmos. I did wear a large though, so it may affect things. The reason I reccomend the SWORKS so heartily is that it is substantially lighter and its ventilation is unsurpassed. In 90 degree weather with a cropped haircut I actually found my head getting cold on occasion.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I decided on the prolight - reviews indicated ventilation good and the 100 gram weight difference really is noticeable. I noticed lots of tour riders who have both chose the prolight even on warm days.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have the Ionos... I think. I like it but it is a bit noisy. Definitely cool enough for me, even on the 95+ days.

The prolight may be awesome though. Haven't been able to try one.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
jsedlak said:
I have the Ionos... I think. I like it but it is a bit noisy. Definitely cool enough for me, even on the 95+ days.

The prolight may be awesome though. Haven't been able to try one.
You ride too fast, so the noise is not the short coming of the helmet....:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
I rotate a couple of helmets...Atmos and Ionos. Honestly, I think I like the Atmos the best as it seems to be a little better ventilated. The Ionos does seem to have a beefier structure which is good. On sizing, my Ionos seems to fit a little snugger though I take the same size in both. My next helmet may be another Atmos.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have an ionos, prolight, and s-works. i honestly prefer the prolight because of the straps. they are the highest quality and easiest to adjust. the head retention system is definitely my favorite too. my ionos seems to always have issues with the two plastic pieces on the sides that hold the straps and cushions in place. other than that, the ionos has been a trusy helmet and looks good. the s-works is definitely the best looking IMHO, but its also the most bulbus.

they are all amazing helmets and you can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have the Monza, Atmos, Ionos and Prolight.

Use the Prolight for everything but racing. The straps are excellent but as mentioned above the wind noise is non-existant, great for any riding in urban areas. For racing I still reach for the Ionos, I don't need to hear as much and it seems to cover nor of the noggin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts