Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
In the running world there are some new terms like "chronic cardio" and a return to aerobic based training. The aerobic training is mainly based on Dr Maffetone's many years of work.

Chronic cardio refers to the zone between aerobic training (good) and true high end intervals. The ideas behind chronic cardio is that many people spend people in this zone where they don't get enough rest, and develop a "debt" so to speak based on overtraining.

Even Dr Maffetone only advises for cardio to go no longer then 2 hours at a time. However many runners who follow his training plans really don't follow that part of the training. LOL LOL

I have been following what he has been coaching for 7 months and have had much better health because of it.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
In the running world there are some new terms like "chronic cardio" and a return to aerobic based training. The aerobic training is mainly based on Dr Maffetone's many years of work.

Chronic cardio refers to the zone between aerobic training (good) and true high end intervals. The ideas behind chronic cardio is that many people spend people in this zone where they don't get enough rest, and develop a "debt" so to speak based on overtraining.

Even Dr Maffetone only advises for cardio to go no longer then 2 hours at a time. However many runners who follow his training plans really don't follow that part of the training. LOL LOL

I have been following what he has been coaching for 7 months and have had much better health because of it.

Just my 2 cents
I don't know the work you refer to, so pardon the question...doesn't Friel advocate the same kind of principles?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get it injected into my butt every 7 days so it's all good for me :D.

I'm sure there is something to it though, I'm blood tested every 6 months in the middle of an injection (3-4 days) and take two guys who are the same size, one who is fairly couch oriented and one who is me. Most guys see 150-200 mg per week injected. To maintain healthy levels I am prescribed 300 mg per week (all 200mg/ml concentration). I'm very active so I require more to be normal.

When my body crashed it's own production I was only 32 and my first time getting the blood work down the lady told me she had higher levels than I did. No idea why I ran out so quickly but healthy levels for a man are somewhere around 550-850, I was barely breaking 100 and I was only 32? Maybe a lifetime of running and biking burned me up early?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
In the running world there are some new terms like "chronic cardio" and a return to aerobic based training. The aerobic training is mainly based on Dr Maffetone's many years of work. r

Even Dr Maffetone only advises for cardio to go no longe then 2 hours at a time. However many runners who follow his training plans really don't follow that part of the training. LOL LOL

Just my 2 cents
What? Recommends only two hours of what, exactly? Because two hours of training will get you exactly nowhere in elite-level endurance sports.

And aerobic training is not based on Maffetone's work. It's been around forever and espoused by just about anyone that understands anything about physiology.

What Maffetone did was decide to throw out a hr "formula" with a whole bunch of qualifiers that's supposed to account for the genetic variability of the entire population and ensure that all of them run almost as slowly as possible (hyperbole, but the entire notion is silly), which is way on the opposite side of the spectrum of what most successful coaches recommend (in running and other endurance sports).

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I can't help but be grateful that we have a person that has the definitive answers to all training questions and techniques right here on RBR. I have no idea why anybody would continue to study the subject further when the could simply ask you. Are there any TDF teams that don't consult with you to find out if they are doing it right?

I'm guessing that there are few subjects for which you are not the final authority?
I tried to just put "no", but apparently there's a 5 character minimum.

For future reference, would a "hell no, that's flat-out absurd" be more illuminating?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I can't help but be grateful that we have a person that has the definitive answers to all training questions and techniques right here on RBR. I have no idea why anybody would continue to study the subject further when the could simply ask you. Are there any TDF teams that don't consult with you to find out if they are doing it right?

I'm guessing that there are few subjects for which you are not the final authority?
well, I'll bite. if the cycling and or running got the numbers that low what would be the case for pros? they would essentially stop all production at when? 25 at best?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
well, I'll bite. if the cycling and or running got the numbers that low what would be the case for pros? they would essentially stop all production at when? 25 at best?
I can't recall seeing it be a problem for elite riders? Now the women on the other hand, I've read and spoken to elite women athletes and it is a problem/issue they have to deal with. It would make sense if it was a problem for men as well, but it doesn't seem to be, at least a widespread problem anyway?

·
Registered
649 Posts
What? Recommends only two hours of what, exactly? Because two hours of training will get you exactly nowhere in elite-level endurance sports.

And aerobic training is not based on Maffetone's work. It's been around forever and espoused by just about anyone that understands anything about physiology.

What Maffetone did was decide to throw out a hr "formula" with a whole bunch of qualifiers that's supposed to account for the genetic variability of the entire population and ensure that all of them run almost as slowly as possible (hyperbole, but the entire notion is silly), which is way on the opposite side of the spectrum of what most successful coaches recommend (in running and other endurance sports).
On the two hour rule I agree. But on the other side many athletes are starting to embrace the slow down to go faster route. (No I don't have exact numbers).

Yes his HR number is based on years of testing people and is a guide/starting point for most people. After that it is what you make of it.

I've been doing this kind of training for 7 months and am very satisfied with the results. My levels of stress, health, and running are all reflecting positive results for me.

But I do think the majority of the population spend too much time training too hard with crappy diets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksdazxvy

·
Registered
456 Posts
Women and men alike both can have issues with T production. As T drops off recovery during the activity becomes harder and recover after the activity is harder and takes longer as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't recall seeing it be a problem for elite riders? Now the women on the other hand, I've read and spoken to elite women athletes and it is a problem/issue they have to deal with. It would make sense if it was a problem for men as well, but it doesn't seem to be, at least a widespread problem anyway?
there's very little about pro cycling that suggests to me excess levels of testosterone are a problem. probably a chicken or egg kinda thing but a lot of those guys are miniature people.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tried to just put "no", but apparently there's a 5 character minimum.

For future reference, would a "hell no, that's flat-out absurd" be more illuminating?
Perhaps you could have provided why you think that's a silly assertion?

There are a number of things that can cause low-T in young males. Many of them are treatable, and for some if you treat the disease, the T levels return to normal. Some reasons are nasty. Diabetes, kidney and liver disease, pituitary issues (tumors!), testicular cancer(!!!) and other things. There are also medications that affect Testosterone production. A doctor that just prescribes Testosterone injections without looking for root cause isn't doing you any favors. Low-T is often not a disease in itself. Most often it is a symptom of something else.

I'm not a doctor, just a guy who knows how to spell G-o-o-g-l-e.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

You're welcome!

There are many subjects! But I tend not to comment on those subjects. Judging by the amount of people on here (and most forums) that argue things they clearly know nothing about, that's a lesson that a good number haven't learned.

But hey, you know what works even better? Making asinine comments to people that neither refute what they say, nor contribute to the topic at hand. You seem to be pretty good at that.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Perhaps you could have provided why you think that's a silly assertion?

There are a number of things that can cause low-T in young males. Many of them are treatable, and for some if you treat the disease, the T levels return to normal. Some reasons are nasty. Diabetes, kidney and liver disease, pituitary issues (tumors!), testicular cancer(!!!) and other things. There are also medications that affect Testosterone production. A doctor that just prescribes Testosterone injections without looking for root cause isn't doing you any favors. Low-T is often not a disease in itself. Most often it is a symptom of something else.

I'm not a doctor, just a guy who knows how to spell G-o-o-g-l-e.
And this guy gets it.

Yes, I could have provided that. But it's such a dumb assertion I felt it would have been totally wasted on that poster. And you gave out a more detailed explanation than I would have anyway. So kudos to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts