Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this procedure? I have had three incidents in the last 12 months with pain associated with bulging/degenerative disk L5S1 and L3L4. I'm have been seeing M.D.s D.C.s and doing PT. I have scheduled another consult with the Sports Med Doctor but, am interested in reading about your experience. Seems like folks with knee, shoulder injury have ok success. Have not read about anyone with DDD/back related problems trying this out.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm not a doctor, but a web search turned up information that said they had success with lower back pain with prolotherapy, in fact lower back pain is one of the easiest to treat with this method. You should do some research and get your answers assisted, as well as perhaps provide you with some questions to ask your doctor.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. It will be interesting to hear what the good doctor has to say as this is not a "mainstream" procedure. Of the 6 medical professionals I've seen in the last year not one has mentioned Prolotherapy as an option to try. Must not be any good unless the AMA/CDC/Pharma puts it's stamp of approval on it. Right?

So, anyone out there have any experience as a patient or Doctor with this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
A year and a half ago I treated a knee injury with prolotherapy and PRP, a more advanced--and supposedly more effective form of prolotherapy. I had several infusions into my patellar tendon and ankle ligaments. Did it work? Hard to say. My knee is much improved today but I can't say with any certainty whether thats from the treatments, mere time, or a combination of the two.

As you're probably finding out, the problem with prolotherapy is its newness. There isn't much research on it and its usually not covered by medical insurance.

If you can afford it and can find a good doctor who can treat you, I'd consider it. Be wary of the docs who sell it to you as a cure for all wounds, those are usually the ones who have profit, not your health, as their priority.

Please let me know if you

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btinder-

Thanks for sharing your experience. My back has deteriorated over the years preventing me from most activity. I started cycling as a way to stay fit as I couldn't do anything else. Fell in love with it along the way.

A friend of mine is a D.O. N.D. who does Prolo but, it's just a bit of money and risk to get a 50/50 at best. It will be interesting to compare notes from the M.D. (sportsmed guy) and the D.O. N.D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts