Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was told at the LBS that the Shimano makes one of the widest shoes for cycling. I picked up a pair of size 44 which are plenty long enough but my wide ass duck style feet still seem to get sore in the sides almost like blood flow is getting cut off. THey are dang nice shoes and fit well everywhere but the sides.

Does this go away with time? IVe only been out on a few rides so i havent given it much time but i thought i would ask.

Can one use a shoe stretcher?

I must say that this is my first cycling shoe.....and wow what a difference in riding while you are clipped in. I love the power on the up stroke. I always always always shuned people that did it because i thought it was kind of corny but i was surprised.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Probably not....my experience with shoes is that they should fit comfi right out of the box with no break in.. most the newer shoes are made from a synthetic material so there is not much to stretch like the leather shoes from the past..Shimano does make wide shoes (with their newer models)..your best best is to see if you can return them for something that fits...try shoes on in the afternoon after your feet have swelled and use cycling socks..
See if they will let you exchange them for some 45's..

Shimano changed their sizing, they tend to run about a size large now.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have wide feet too. I've been happy with the Shimano 151w. Don't know which model Shimano you bought. Sidi also make wide shoes. They're called megas, and come in a couple of diffeent models. I had a pair of Sidi Genius Megas, but didn't like them nearly as much as the Shimanos. They fit all right, but their quality doesn't hold a candle to the Shimanos.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like i have a M181L

No E

It was a craigs list deal so no returning here. I tried them on and of course they walk around in real funny but they feel fine. It is only after about 4 - 5 miles that i start to notice my feet go crazy...

and yes they are MTB shoes but i plan to use them for both road and MTB....as well as on my SS.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
In that case

scale said:
looks like i have a M181L

No E

It was a craigs list deal so no returning here. I tried them on and of course they walk around in real funny but they feel fine. It is only after about 4 - 5 miles that i start to notice my feet go crazy...

and yes they are MTB shoes but i plan to use them for both road and MTB....as well as on my SS.
...............................................................................................................................

If you are stuck with the shoes and don't plan on unloading them, you could try dunking them in a bucket of water so they are soaking wet then stuff them with newspaper and they might stretch out a little... I have some old R151's that I got soaking wet when I got stuck in a rain storm and it was like a custom fit after that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.