Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A post in General prompted this question:

So we all know about the yellow line rule. That is a given for all races unless the road is closed. But what about the following in a race:

1. There is a pace line, pack, or you solo in a tri are coming up on a car that is going slower than you. Where do you pass? Logic says on the left....but.....

I have never had that happen in a RR to me personally..

2. But in a tri that used to have great roads years ago has tons more houses on and around the roads. Not a ton of car traffic, but still way more than years past.

Two years ago, this was my "A" race and I planned to destroy the bike section. Well shortly after T1 there is a left turn out onto a semi-main street (4 lane, 2 each way). There was car traffic approaching the red light 300 - 400 yards out. There was already a line of slower riders from earlier waves on the right with cars in both lanes next to them, so I passed between cars. In retrospect this was really dumb. I was able to shoot through the cars and make the right fine (right turn lane was blocked off for the race). But what do you do there? If you go right, you have to do about 16 or less to the corner when I was doing 28+.... Siting on the car could be considered drafting, and would get me to the corner at about the same time as the slower riders.

Latter on the same course I was passed by a large pickup ~300 yards before a semi-technical right turn. He was all confuesed when he got to the corner beacuse police were there to stop traffic on the street we were turning on to. I took the apex right behind his bumper to make the turn, just as he started to go.

I won't do that tri again unless the roads are closed. Now I know what I did was dangerous in those situations, but what is the "correct" thing to do in RR, TT, and tri's in these types of situations so that you can still perform well, but don't have to risk getting taken out/pissing off cars/ doing something illegal.

Thanks.

Edited to emphasize car conflict

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the club. Typical event I finish middle to the pack in the run/swim and top five in the bike. I can count on passing anywhere from 50 to 100 people. Biggest problem is slow riders riding in the middle of the road holding up traffic. I usually ride the bumper until i gain their attention and wave. Then I'll jump over the yellow line and pass on the left. Occasionally if I'm feeling brave i'll sqeeze thru on the right.

Illegal as heck and some day I'll be DQ'd. I'll take my chances and medicine if I get caught, but I'm there to race. I'm not going to piss away 20 to 40 places because a slow biker is riding on the right. I'd be more concerned about the rules if they ran boats and jet skis thru the swim course and mtbs and horses during the run to even out the obstacles.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was refering more about cars on the course as opposed to cyclists in the same race.

·
Registered
348 Posts
sdeeer said:
I was refering more about cars on the course as opposed to cyclists in the same race.
I was too.

"Biggest problem is slow riders riding in the middle of the road holding up traffic."

I meant cyclists holding up cars. You'll get people riding 15 mph hugging the yellow line preventing the cars from passing. Very frustrating when you're coming up from behind at 25 mph.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I wait until its safe rather than taking risks. My life and the lives of others are worth more than the few seconds it really is costing me. Same with passing cyclists - I don't know their handling skills or how focused they are, same as they don't know mine, so I pass with caution and as quickly as I safely can to get out of their way and so that they're out of my way.

My first TT a truck cost me my goal time, but not getting hit by him was worth the 4 seconds.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I've done TT's where cars are on the course and have been held up behind a car that is held up by a slower rider. All I do is try to pass safely... not much else you can do... "that's racing" as they say.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
It's just a race. A totally insignificant race. Bottom line, unless you make your living racing bikes and the time really matters, don't needlessly put yourself in harm's way. Racing bikes already carries a certain amount of risk. Don't add to it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
"Proper Racing "technique" in tri's or Road "

First of all, a "Tri" is not a "race". It is a "contest" to see who can ride fastest...(same for TT's)
A "Race" is a "contest" to see who gets over the line first.
Slight difference, but very, very important

Secondly, I've passed a car on the left, just after the turnaround in a TT (not a real race)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts