Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went on my first group ride this past sunday and noticed that the group I was riding with used certain hand gestures and terminology while riding such as pointing at potholes to warn riders behind them and saying "clear" or "all clear" at intersections when turning.

I'm assuming some of this may be just this individual group, but what are some of the things that your group does? I'd like to learn the lingo, haha.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
clipless said:
I just went on my first group ride this past sunday and noticed that the group I was riding with used certain hand gestures and terminology while riding such as pointing at potholes to warn riders behind them and saying "clear" or "all clear" at intersections when turning.

I'm assuming some of this may be just this individual group, but what are some of the things that your group does? I'd like to learn the lingo, haha.
Individual groups have their own methods of communicating while on the road. The best way to learn that group's lingo is to keep riding with it. Just keep a steady line and don't overlap wheels, and you'll learn the lingo in no time.

Incidentally, it sounds like your group uses similar lingo to what my club does. In addition to the customary hand signals for stopping, slowing, right turn, & left turn, nonverbal communication is used quite frequently on our rides. Ordinarily, the men are the ones who point at potholes, gravel, etc. whereas the women will yell out whatever hazard is ahead. I prefer pointing b/c it's more concise and gives the riders behind you more time to react. Plus, it can be difficult to hear instructions on the road when cars are blowing past you and air is rushing over your ears. However, if taking your hands off the bars to point to a hazard causes you to swerve, then pointing isn't a good idea.

As for verbal communication, we also use terms such as "clear" at intersections, or we use "car left" or "car right" if a car is approaching an intersection. "Car up" refers to a car approaching from the opposite direction, and "car back" refers to a car that is behind you. I get tired of hearing "car back" even though I don't use a mirror. In rural areas, I can hear the cars coming from a distance, and in urban areas, I just assume that there is always a car behind me, so "car back" is more of an annoyance TO ME than anything. On the occasional MUT ride, phrases like "biker up," "walker up," or "dog" become part of the vernacular.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Palm out means slowing. Some riders put the hand behind their back.

Pointing the hand down and wiggling the fingers means glass or small gravel.

Pointing out obstacles is much better than yelling. To get the message across when yelling, the yeller has to see the obstacle and identify it's name, then yell. The riders behind have to hear the yell (often difficult at speed), figure out that whatever word was yelled means there is an obstacle they should avoid, then look for the obstacle (which side is it on?) and figure out how to go around it.

Whereas when someone ahead points out an obstacle, the following riders know immediately which side it is on and how to avoid it.

It's much more important to avoid the obstacle (know where it is) than to know what it is.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
ericm979 said:
Palm out means slowing. Some riders put the hand behind their back.

Pointing the hand down and wiggling the fingers means glass or small gravel.

Pointing out obstacles is much better than yelling. To get the message across when yelling, the yeller has to see the obstacle and identify it's name, then yell. The riders behind have to hear the yell (often difficult at speed), figure out that whatever word was yelled means there is an obstacle they should avoid, then look for the obstacle (which side is it on?) and figure out how to go around it.

Whereas when someone ahead points out an obstacle, the following riders know immediately which side it is on and how to avoid it.

It's much more important to avoid the obstacle (know where it is) than to know what it is.

What he said...

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
clipless said:
what signals do you guys use for stopping/slowing? I didnt notice any of our guys using them, but i may not have been looking for it.
Don't be one of those guys who shouts "STANDING!!!" when he stands and sometimes "SITTING!!!" when he sits. It's not helpful and it's really annoying. Everyone already knows that when the road turns up, the pace will slow and some will stand.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
"Car Back" can be a lifesaver in a long paceline. My Saturday group ride has a couple streches on busy rural roads where we have to make turns across traffic...... lots of semitrucks hauling farm products and when one is coming up behind the group just before a turn, it is extremely helpful for guys in the back of the line to start giving people up ahead a warning about a truck approaching from the rear. You can't hear the trucks coming from behind when the wind is in your face, which it usually is.
Now, pointing out every dusty spot on the road or crack in the pavement.... that gets old real quick.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Don't be one of those guys who shouts "STANDING!!!" when he stands and sometimes "SITTING!!!" when he sits. It's not helpful and it's really annoying. Everyone already knows that when the road turns up, the pace will slow and some will stand.
I agree, its annoying. But even more so are riders that can't seam to stand up without launching their bike backwards. It seams its the guys that stand up most frequently too.

Its very simple, keep moving your legs! Spin up first!

·
Registered
345 Posts
my favorite, and it only seems to be a couple of groups in South carolina that use it is to smack your butt for a bump that cant be avoided ie railroad tracks, bridge joits ect.

Up here in North carolina people will swing one arm behind them for that, looking like they are trying to waft a fart away. A couple people use the hand on the butt as their I am pulling to the side you take over thing, wich has my friend from sc looking for the railroad tracks every time lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.