Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out the other night and I came up on the "C" members of a group ride. I have no affiliation with this group. I saw them ahead, and eventually caught up with them. It was a group of 7. once I caught up with the last fellow we made smalltalk. I wanted to get ahead since their pace was much slower than mine.

I had nowhere to go except passing them on the the left lane, thus crossing the yellow line. I felt that was "not proper" so I just rode with the fellow at the end. He was friendly, and I was too. That is how I learned they were the "C" group of a group ride.

Eventually, we came up to a major intersection. I stopped with them, but quickly got back on the pace and basically "passed" them.

So, my question: what is the "proper" way to do this? Is the approach I took sufficient? I did not want to pass them by crossing the yellow line - I figured that would not go well, but I just did not want to ride at their pace...

Suggestions?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Whatever you want to do. There are no set rules to follow. If you were to "catch up" to a group of slow walking people in a mall would you slow down and walk along with them or move around and past them?
I would have done basically the same as you...say hello and chat for a minute then move along. If it meant crossing a yellow line for a second and it was safe to do...no problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kai Winters said:
If it meant crossing a yellow line for a second and it was safe to do...no problem.
Cool. I just did not want to come across like a hotshot. thanks!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was wondering though why a group of only "7" riders would take up so much road that you would have to cross the yellow line. In most road races there is a "yellow line" rule but that is for a field of racers rather than a few people riding their bikes.
Perhaps I'm not thinking of the same yellow line as you mean. To me the yellow line is the line in the middle of the road, be it solid or segmented, etc.
Obviously, maybe not so to some, crossing a yellow line should only be done when it is absolutely safe to do so...no oncoming traffic at all...though I do enjoy the "Darwin Award" story upon occasion.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yeah, just pass them like they were standing still and say good morning.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I personally would have crossed the yellow line if it was safe to do so, and given a simple greeting, and then been on my way.

You didn't do anything wrong, obviously, but you didn't have to stick with them for that long. If you enjoyed the respite and the conversation, then obviously no harm done. But don't feel like you have to stick around with slower riders. They'll forget about you as soon as they hit the next hill.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The best way to pass a slow group is to veer far to left and let out a big sigh of exasperation.

Once you've gotten their attention and everyone looks over to you, just shake your head slowly and mumble loudly, "effin' noobs".

Then smoke'em ...and make it look effortless.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
If the yellow line is what it is to me the proper thing to do would have been to yell get to fck out of the middle of the road and blow by them and turn around and give them the finger.
Okay, I'm joking about being rude but they, not you, are probably the only ones that need to be asking questions about etiquette.

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,389 Posts
frdfandc said:
Say in a strong voice.

"ON YOUR LEFT" and them pass them all.
Exactly what he said.

Peace :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
czeqm8 said:
pull out the water bottle. accelerate. squirt them all as you go by them.

I like the direction this thread has taken. Good practical advice without the unnecessary angst over 'proper etiquette'.:p

·
Registered
935 Posts
filtersweep said:
Can't you just say "excuse me" or "on your left" and pass them in the lane if they are riding so slowly?
Despite the simplicity of the phrase not many people that ride bikes knows the phrase and what is expected of you. By the way "on your left" is not a "law". If I'm in the front I automatically own all existing road surfaces I come in contact with and it is up to you to manage to find a way around me. While that is a bit of an ego driven statement and meant as a bit of sarcasm I am always amazed to hear that in a race and to be expected to move aside to let this "oh so obviously" better rider than I pass me by.

·
Registered
531 Posts
alaris said:
I had nowhere to go except passing them on the the left lane, thus crossing the yellow line. I felt that was "not proper" so I just rode with the fellow at the end.

Suggestions?
Sometimes I think that the most helpless people in the world post on this forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EMB145 Driver said:
Sometimes I think that the most helpless people in the world post on this forum.
And what, you are some kind of super cycling expert??

I was simply making a question - geez man, get a life.

·
Registered
531 Posts
alaris said:
And what, you are some kind of super cycling expert??

I was simply making a question - geez man, get a life.
Nope, no super cycling expert and my life is just fine, thanks for caring.

If you need to pass someone, do it when it's safe for you and them, how difficult can that be?

·
Registered
181 Posts
ive been passed by many a rider. However, I once rode with a small group of equal riders and if someone passed us a high speed with out even a wave, we took that as being disrespectful and attacked, some got the message and moved off, some others thought it was fun and away we chased each other!! and of course there were the very few time we just got dropped, heh! Its all good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts