Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in a pace line what is the distance/time the lead rider should give to alert the other people in the pace line. One of my riding friends doesn't give us a clue until a second before. I've tried to signal as soon as he does, but many times have found myself in danger by taking my hands off the drops, because we're already into the hazard. I asked him to give us more warning, but he says his eyes are not that good and he will have a new pair of glasses next week. He is our strongest rider and tries to pull all he can. If he doesn't have a new prescription next time we ride, I think I'll kindly tell him the truth and hopefully he'll understand and won't pull. But I'd still like to know what riders consider an appropriate distance/time.

·
Banned
97 Posts
If he does not have new glasses, I would not let him pull. I would maybe kindly ask him to get new specs before he rides with a group. The last thing you want to happen is a crash, with another rider, or car. Are the rides a planned route?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the most part.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Dysfunctional ******* said:
When in a pace line what is the distance/time the lead rider should give to alert the other people in the pace line. One of my riding friends doesn't give us a clue until a second before. I've tried to signal as soon as he does, but many times have found myself in danger by taking my hands off the drops, because we're already into the hazard. I asked him to give us more warning, but he says his eyes are not that good and he will have a new pair of glasses next week. He is our strongest rider and tries to pull all he can. If he doesn't have a new prescription next time we ride, I think I'll kindly tell him the truth and hopefully he'll understand and won't pull. But I'd still like to know what riders consider an appropriate distance/time.
please tell me he is not driving a car.
normally a few seconds warning is sufficient

·
Banned
349 Posts
Dysfunctional ******* . . . Isn't that redundant? :D :D :D

Group rides are generally done by concensus and convention. Technically it's a "discourse community" with certain linguistic and cultural norms, conventions, constraints, expectations.

You can ask in here what the convention is, but it's like asking a New Yorker "What's in the Gumbo?"

You wanna know what's in the Gumbo, ask the cooks in the kitchen. -- Ask the riders in the group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts