Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put in all the road miles, intervals, group rides, and local races. I need advice on how to taper the week before (more or less) that "A" race of the season. How do you show up with your legs alive and ready to go on race day? Thanks

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
cat4forlife said:
I've put in all the road miles, intervals, group rides, and local races. I need advice on how to taper the week before (more or less) that "A" race of the season. How do you show up with your legs alive and ready to go on race day? Thanks
I'd start two weeks before, and every third day do an interval set of 1M max efforts followed by FULL recovery (6-10 minutes between efforts). You shouldn't be able to do more than 5 or six. Softpedal home. Any other ride you do should be EASY. Do the same interval workout the day before the race, but only do 3-4. Show up day-of and knock 'em dead.

Note that since you won't be working so hard, you really need to watch what you eat during this period. Also make sure to get enough sleep. These are always my biggest prob when I try to taper... I tend to get a little lazy about the "off the bike" training. YMMV.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mostly right on the money.

Consider two weeks before the A race a rest or recovery week. Follow Shawndoggy's advice on intervals every 3rd day. The week before you can get in some better quality rides and intervals. Focus on intensity and cut duration back. Most people will take two days before off and then get in a good opener ride the day before. Not long and a couple of hard efforts.

Try to log what you're doing so if it works or doesn't you know what you did and adjust next time.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
timing of optimum supercompensation?

I've found that after many weeks of hard, diligent training, if I take an entire week off my first ride after the time off is often the best ride of the season. The next ride after that is usually terrible. Given that, would it be unwise to not ride at all for several days before an "A" race? Is there really any known advantage to riding the day before with a couple of hard efforts?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
BenWA said:
I've found that after many weeks of hard, diligent training, if I take an entire week off my first ride after the time off is often the best ride of the season. The next ride after that is usually terrible. Given that, would it be unwise to not ride at all for several days before an "A" race? Is there really any known advantage to riding the day before with a couple of hard efforts?
There's certainly no one-size-fits-all answer. Gotta do what works for you. Personally, I'm usually (though not always) flat after a week totally off the bike. Recovered, sure, but unable to really snap like I can when everything is going right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Agreed

I'm sure some of the learned on this board can explain it better but my understanding is that the amount of energy that's stored in your legs decreases with lack of adequate use. So doing a medium ride with some harder efforts helps the muscles accept and store more glycogen. And I may be wrong with the term glycogen so don't jump all over me. Getting this ride in to "knock the rust off" always helps me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just in the nick of time!!!!

Thanks for everyone's input! And from the look of shawndoggy just in time! My A races of the year are on Memorial day weekend. So approx 2 weeks to go. I'll give it a shot and report the outcome. I'm not promising a major result, but anything better than pack fill or worse yet off the back is a major result for me! Thanks again for all the advice.
Cat4forlife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.