Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has a chart/guide to use. I think I might be underinflating my tires 700x23. I got a pinch flat today and this has not happened in a while - changed tires so I just want to be sure. I had a 100 psi in my front and rear (flatted the front) and the flat happened when I hit a small pot hole. Thanks -
Riv

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
If you weigh 190 pounds or less, 100 psi f/r is fine. If you weigh 210, you may need 100/115 f/r. If you weigh 225, you may need 115/130 f/r.
Or you could do your best to miss pot holes.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Weight?

rivren5 said:
Was wondering if anyone has a chart/guide to use. I think I might be underinflating my tires 700x23. I got a pinch flat today and this has not happened in a while - changed tires so I just want to be sure. I had a 100 psi in my front and rear (flatted the front) and the flat happened when I hit a small pot hole.
100 psi (7 bar) in a front tire should just about make it immune to pinch flats unless you are 1) a pretty heavy dude or 2) really whacked that sharp-edged pothole. By manufacturer's recommendations, you would need 100 psi on the front for a 23 mm tire if you weighed in the range of 240+ lb (110 kg). If you are not that heavy, then you had bad luck with the pothole, and should be more careful :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry Irons said:
100 psi (7 bar) in a front tire should just about make it immune to pinch flats unless you are 1) a pretty heavy dude or 2) really whacked that sharp-edged pothole. By manufacturer's recommendations, you would need 100 psi on the front for a 23 mm tire if you weighed in the range of 240+ lb (110 kg). If you are not that heavy, then you had bad luck with the pothole, and should be more careful :)

155 - not that heavy - thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts