Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road race tomorrow. 24 miles. 3x 8-mile loop. 400ft climbing per lap. Uphill finish.

Weather forecast: Heavy rain, windy (10-20mph), 50 degrees

This will be my first race with any real rain, and it looks like it might downpour. I've never warmed up for a race on a trainer, but I am considering bringing my rollers so I don't have to warm up out on the cold, wet, windy road. I don't know yet whether I can get much more protection than maybe a tree overhead (for a stationary warmup). Any ideas? Should I do most of my warmup and then change into dry clothes for the start? or is that a waste of time because I will be soaked again in a matter of minutes. Warmup on the road or on the trainer? Suggestions? (other than the obvious one which is stay home) BTW it is an 8:45am start :)

Thanks.

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,015 Posts
Warmup on trainer

Never stay home! :) You've got the right idea, prepare as if for any other race, just bring more clothes. Especially clothes to change into immediately afterwards! Knit hat, fleece everything.

If at all possible, warm up under a structure to stay dry, maybe a tree will do. Bring a tarp and some rope, make your own shelter! All in all, safer and better than warming up on the road.

Drink warm fluids - tea, hot chocolate, some coffee but not too much

I realise it's an early morning start, but if you can, drive the course to check it out. REmember which way the wind is blowing.

Will it be cold, too, or a 'warm' rain? If it's below seventy degrees, consider it a cold rain. Tights, hat, full gloves, jacket. Use warming creme underneath. Over dress to start, perhaps, then discard as you get in a lap. You don't want to lose your core body temperature before the race gets underway - you start the lap in a deficit and it's all downhill from there.

Otherwise, think positive! Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.