Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first crit ever today. Loads of fun, I tried to do everything you all recommended but then I noticed how far back I was...and well...it was just too late. So anyways, I came in 3rd to last out of 28 ppl. On my 11th lap (out of 12) The main group caught up to me. (they were on their 12th lap) I basically just let them by and finished a little behind them. (therefore only completing 11 laps. (the judge told me to)) If I were to get lapped earlier what should I have done? And would I have gotten some bad looks If I had tagged on to the main group as they passed me and tried to finish with them?

Thanks!
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
The race officials will let you know if it's time to pack it in. And it's definateley NOT COOL to grab onto the back of the leading group if you've been lapped.
 

·
Cycling Coach
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Depends on the circuit and officials but generally lapped riders are pulled from the track. One thing you can't do it attempt to get back into the bunch.

So if it happens, the right thing to do is to ensure you are safely to one side of the track so that the group can safely pass. On most circuits there is a local "protocol" for that. If you are getting lapped very quickly, then perhaps you are in the wrong grade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Here's the rule:

3C3. A lapped rider or one who has fallen too far behind and is considered to be out of contention may be called off the course by the Chief Referee. Riders on different laps may not give or receive pace from one another. A lapped rider must not interfere in any prime sprint or finishing sprint and must ride sufficient laps at the end so as to cover the entire distance in order to qualify for a prize.

Some so-called training races allow you to get back into the pack if you're lapped. But even then, it's not cool for a lapped rider to mix it up in the final sprint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New holland, PA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
wim said:
Here's the rule:

3C3. A lapped rider or one who has fallen too far behind and is considered to be out of contention may be called off the course by the Chief Referee. Riders on different laps may not give or receive pace from one another. A lapped rider must not interfere in any prime sprint or finishing sprint and must ride sufficient laps at the end so as to cover the entire distance in order to qualify for a prize.
If you're going to share information, at least make sure you're close to knowing what you're talking about. The OP said this was a Crit. You quoted the rule for a road race. Criterium rules are given under section 3D, and 3D3b says lapped riders may be allowed to remain in the race and 3D4 says that if allowed to remain, they may work with riders on different laps. It is perfectly within the rules to latch on to a break or even work with them to stay ahead of the field.
 

·
Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
It is okay to jump on the back of the leading group. I have never had a problem with it. However, you cannot interfere with the rotation or the sprint. Basically, you need to sit on the back and stay out of the way. I have never had a problem with a lapped rider sitting on as long as they don't get anywhere near the front and for sure they had better not get involved in the sprint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Sherpa23 said:
It is okay to jump on the back of the leading group. I have never had a problem with it. However, you cannot interfere with the rotation or the sprint. Basically, you need to sit on the back and stay out of the way. I have never had a problem with a lapped rider sitting on as long as they don't get anywhere near the front and for sure they had better not get involved in the sprint.
Re-read 3D4. Lapped riders may work however they choose and can be involved in the sprint. You might not like it, but then again I don't like a lot of the tactics people use against me. That's racing.
 

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
I didn't know the rule in my first crit yesterday so I just did what made sense - I did get on the back of the break at one point, but otherwise tried to stay as out of the way as possible. Nobody gave me any heat, so I guess I did the right thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Correction.

asgelle said:
If you're going to share information, at least make sure you're close to knowing what you're talking about. The OP said this was a Crit. You quoted the rule for a road race. Criterium rules are given under section 3D, and 3D3b says lapped riders may be allowed to remain in the race and 3D4 says that if allowed to remain, they may work with riders on different laps. It is perfectly within the rules to latch on to a break or even work with them to stay ahead of the field.
LOL, sure enough, I screwed up, sorry. Here's the rule for road racing. We could have done without your silly schoolmarm lead-in, but hey, if it makes you feel good, why not. It's the internet. :D

3D3. The following are alternative methods for handling lapped riders in criteriums (i.e. riders who have been caught by the lead rider(s) in the race). The method chosen by the organizer with the Chief Referee must be clearly explained to the riders prior to the start of the race.
(a) A rider who falls so far behind as to be considered out of contention may be removed from the race by the Chief Referee.
(b) Alternatively, lapped riders may be permitted to remain in the race and all will finish on the same lap as the leaders. At the finish, these riders will be placed according to the number of the laps they are down and then their position in the finish.

3D4. Riders on different laps may work with each other except that no rider may drop back to assist a rider who has broken away from the field [disqualification for accepting such assistance].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
In the crits I have done, the lapped riders were allowed to continue racing until about 5 or 10 laps left - that's when it was announced that any lapped riders had to leave the course.

What I have noticed is that sometimes, a rider (frequently me) gets lapped, then is able to catch back on and hang with the pack for the rest of the race, until they are pulled. And if the rider is not able to hang back on with the pack, the rider ends up being lapped over and over again, which is horribly demoralizing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
Gregpape23 said:
Ok, first crit ever today. Loads of fun, I tried to do everything you all recommended but then I noticed how far back I was...and well...it was just too late. So anyways, I came in 3rd to last out of 28 ppl. On my 11th lap (out of 12) The main group caught up to me. (they were on their 12th lap) I basically just let them by and finished a little behind them. (therefore only completing 11 laps. (the judge told me to)) If I were to get lapped earlier what should I have done? And would I have gotten some bad looks If I had tagged on to the main group as they passed me and tried to finish with them?

Thanks!
HOLD YOUR LINE and LET THEM PASS YOU.

Don't try to change your line.. You can get up to speed and then get back on.. Just don't go too slow either or you will cause an accident by getting run over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
wim said:
LOL, sure enough, I screwed up, sorry. Here's the rule for road racing. We could have down without your silly schoolmarm lead-in, but hey, if it makes you feel good, why not. It's the internet. :D
:D Some folks really love being the guy who says "You're wrong" on the internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
function said:
:D Some folks really love being the guy who says "You're wrong" on the internet.
LOL, I think some only respond to posts that allow them to do that.

More seriously, no one minds being corrected on an obvious mistake. But there are cool ways to do that. BTW, I fixed my heinous freaking spelling ERROR, from 'down' to 'done.' :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
function said:
:D Some folks really love being the guy who says "You're wrong" on the internet.
It's not so much that I love being able to say you're wrong as I hate having to deal with and re-educate people who make the mistake of believing what they read here.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top