Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a flag hanging off of a balcony for a while. It is very weathered and recently got caught on a thorn bush and ripped. It is time to retire it. What is the protocol?

·
xploshin
530 Posts
From what I know only the Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts, and the Military are supposed to retire a flag. Just find your local Boy Scout Troop and they should be more than willing to do it for you.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
I'm surprised Fox News hasn't done a sensationalized story about the Boy Scouts torching flags.........

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
local VFW

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Take it down to the steps of your statehouse and burn it.

Bonus points for bringing a sign complaining about taxes, war or mind control by red-light camera systems and the interwebnetz.

But don't tell them I sent you.

·
village idiot
19 Posts
Whatever you do, the main protocol is to do it with respect for the flag. I was helping some scouts from the troop I was in as a kid finish their requirements for Eagle Scout last year. One boy decided to have a flag retirement ceremony, and collected about 250 flags from the community. After searching, we found there was no one proper way to retire the flag, so we came up with a composite of suggestions we found. We started with the first flag by cutting the field of blue from the stripes, folding the striped portion as you would normally fold a flag, and then placing the stripes on the fire. The field of blue was then laid over the top of that. After that was conusumed by the fire, previously folded and intact flags were laid on the fire until all were retired. After the fire cooled down, the scout later retrieved any grommets from the flags and saved them as a memento of his project.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Take it down to the steps of your statehouse and burn it.

Bonus points for bringing a sign complaining about taxes, war or mind control by red-light camera systems and the interwebnetz.

But don't tell them I sent you.
Extra bonus points if I wear my Lounge Kit?

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts

Doubtful that the local VFW or anyone else is interested in taking any time to 'properly dispose' of your flag.
Your Home Depot 'Daisies' flag or 'Raider Nation' flag can go in the dumpster right along with 'Moon' flags, 'Dale Jr.' flags....

Unless it happens to be a national flag such as the Stars and Stripes....

So what sort of flag is it?
:wink5:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bixe said:
Doubtful that the local VFW or anyone else is interested in taking any time to 'properly dispose' of your flag.
Your Home Depot 'Daisies' flag or 'Raider Nation' flag can go in the dumpster right along with 'Moon' flags, 'Dale Jr.' flags....

Unless it happens to be a national flag such as the Stars and Stripes....

So what sort of flag is it?
:wink5:
It's the good ole Stars and Bars.

My neighbor is a West Point Alum. I will see if he is willing to officiate a ceremony.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Every July 4th, the Boy Scouts do this - maybe there's something locally for you too. Kind of disconcerting to watch, but it is the proper way to do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts