Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be a bike for long fixed rides.

1998 Bianchi Alloro steel frame/fork, 55cm, with Dedacciai Zero Uno tubing, Tig welded
Open Pro rims, 32 spoke, DT 14/15 spokes, brass nips
Campy Record (standard quick release, not bolt on) front hub
ENO offset rear fixed hub (building rear wheel myself, standard 3x)
Salsa 16 tooth 3/32nd cog (64.8 gear inches) w/ Campy lock ring
Campy Record (10 sp) crankset, but with 39 t ring in outer position (Sheldon said this would work); (may be problem with 172.5 mm cranks for this, though - my Pista has 170)
short chainring bolts
Record bb, 102mm
Record brakes, but with Zipp pads (dissipate heat better)
Chorous Ti seat post
SLR saddle (probably will run with QR foam cover)
ITM quill stem
ITM polished aluminum bars
Record headset
Tektro aero levers (may even drill them out - didn't want the carbon look of the Record levers)
Paul Cross Levers (mainly for drag braking while sitting bolt upright on long descents)
Look pp206 pedals (big platforms)
SRAM 8 sp chain
lots of padding under the celeste bar tape
celeste bottle cages
probably Conti 25 mm Gatorskin tires/Michelin tubes

Any ideas or suggestions before I throw more $ at this?

Doug

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
very nice. though I'd go with the campy levers were it mine. and I had the required funding for the rest of the project. which I don't. any distinct reason that youll be running a rear brake? not suggesting you shouldn't, just curious as to the choice.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brake...

blackhat said:
very nice. though I'd go with the campy levers were it mine. and I had the required funding for the rest of the project. which I don't. any distinct reason that youll be running a rear brake? not suggesting you shouldn't, just curious as to the choice.
Rear brake = 5,000 foot descents where I've hit 64 mph on multispeed bikes. Need to rein this in to around 25 mph, tops. I think 2 brakes is a good idea to avoid overheating and as backup.

Want a slightly more retro look than the carbon levers provide. I might ulitimate go weight weenie and change, though.

Thanks.

·
Are you a nurse, Fokker?
81 Posts
i'd skip the secondary cross bar top levers, unless you really feel you need them. except for those really long descents, you'll end up finding yourself using your legs most of the time anyhow.......

agree on the front and rear brake if you have looooong descents. not a bad idea. running mine with only one, but may end up putting a rear on if i find myself going through pads on the front brake too much. hardly use it so far, but we'll see once summer hits.....

maybe see if you can swap for a 170 crank, if that's what your'e used to. or take the 170's from the pista for this. wait and see. you may not even notice the difference.

·
Done
4,589 Posts
That will climb!

Very nice --

I'd go with front and back brakes too...I like the redundency, and I also like that I can alternate using front and rear brakes on looooong descents. It seems to keep things cooler. Frankly, with an ultralong event, I wouldn't tear my legs up trying to control speed by backpedaling strongly.

The Tektro levers are okay, but you can get some really nice Shimano levers (with cables) from Nashbar for a decent price.

I haven't built up my ENO hub yet, but I am going to go with Velocity Aerohead rims (black) with 14/16 spokes, laced 3X. I was going to go Ultegra for the front hub (really cheap, really nice).

·
Are you a nurse, Fokker?
81 Posts
that's pretty much what i did on my ENO build (well, waht my builder did. but anyway....)
makes for a nice and strong wheel, while still being fairly light!

you'll love the ENO!

doh! and so will you, doug. it's such a great way to make a fixie, if you don't have track ends/horozontals. i'm wanting to buy a few more hubs......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.