Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Giro Surprise - Props to my man Gadret!

Anyone notice what a good performance he has been putting in in the last few days. He's consistently up in the top 10 and is doing better than many of the "usual suspects". I've raced against him back a while and even though he used to put several laps into me on the cyclocross circuit ... I don't hold it against him ;-). Also, it's refreshing to see a dyed-in-the wool (joke -- if you knew Gadret, he is anything but a "traditional" cyclocrossman) cyclocross racer unload a can of whoopass on his road brethren! Now I'm really bummed that they cut off the final of today's stage because I had some silly money on Gadret taking the stage by a mile after dismounting and running the final 5 km!

Oh, and meanwhile, in other news, cyclocross world champ Erwin Vervecken has been abandoning stages in the Tour of Japan because of "fatigue"... grow a set Erwin! (disclaimer -- I actually like Erwin, but I'd like to see him, Nys and a few others in the Giro!)

A+

Philippe

picture from cyclingnews...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
philippec said:
Anyone notice what a good performance he has been putting in in the last few days. He's consistently up in the top 10 and is doing better than many of the "usual suspects". I've raced against him back a while and even though he used to put several laps into me on the cyclocross circuit ... I don't hold it against him ;-). Also, it's refreshing to see a dyed-in-the wool (joke -- if you knew Gadret, he is anything but a "traditional" cyclocrossman) cyclocross racer unload a can of whoopass on his road brethren! Now I'm really bummed that they cut off the final of today's stage because I had some silly money on Gadret taking the stage by a mile after dismounting and running the final 5 km!

Oh, and meanwhile, in other news, cyclocross world champ Erwin Vervecken has been abandoning stages in the Tour of Japan because of "fatigue"... grow a set Erwin! (disclaimer -- I actually like Erwin, but I'd like to see him, Nys and a few others in the Giro!)

A+

Philippe
yes, i had noticed that, it is pretty cool - question is will he abandon cross now or not?

if only i could do the same thing, transfer cross results to the road.

did not see the results of the Tour of Japan, but did see that the Fidea team was there.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
He is riding so well. He would have been my pick for the win if they had gone all the way to the top of the Corones. I was so looking forward to everyone picking up their bikes and hoofing it to the finish line.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
il sogno said:
He is riding so well. He would have been my pick for the win if they had gone all the way to the top of the Corones. I was so looking forward to everyone picking up their bikes and hoofing it to the finish line.
now that's the kind of action I'm talking about!!

we've been robbed!

A+

Philippe

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
yeah a nice portage to the finish would have been

tres suite. or maybe a dismount and run over the guys who have fallen over.

They may race him, he's French and may be the best shot AG2R has at a stage win

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
This is the first time in a while that I can remember French riders really being in the thick of it in the mountains of a Grand Tour (Gadret and Casar). Hard to believe Gadret would do the Tour as well after a pretty full cross season, and now the Giro.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
You jinxed him!

:(

2:07 PM Bad news
Apparently John Gadret (Ag2r Prevoyance) has fallen and is out of the race. He began the day in 27th place overall and has shown himself to be a strong climber. We will try to get an update on his condition.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
magnolialover said:
Love that guy. He's so, well, weird...

I became a fan of the man through a friend of mine who loves him as well, and writes about him all the time. Check out his blog, and during cross season, he posts about the Gadret smackdown watch. Good stuff.

http://www.unc.edu/~hymas/blogger.html
That's funny. That blog is how I first learned of Gadret also. It's actually the " John Gadret Belgian beat down calculator" :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.