Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quickie: I have ridden Michelin Axil Pros and Race 2's for years. Now it's time to buy new (my supply ran out). The reviews of the 3's do not seem favorable: puncture resistance and mounting issues.
I want light weight and all the advantages of a great tire. So, I have come to two choices: Conti GP4000S or the Mich ProRace 3's.
Give me the answer, ole wise ones....

· Registered
2,620 Posts
filtersweep said:
PR3 are fine. I prefer their shape over Contis.

But if you really want a "great tire" I would look at Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX.
Aren't the Vittoria tires you mention for race day? I bought some for big events but don't expect great mileage from them.
For general riding I use ProRace 3 or 2 if I can find them.
Tried Contis and hated them. Not a very good feel.

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reviews say that the Vic's are a high wear tire...great at first, then poop out. I've just had so much luck with the Mich, but the 3's get mixed reviews (as opposed to the 2's that I have had...). Just thought I would ask about the Conti's.

· Registered
5,480 Posts
I went from PR2 to GP4000S's (25c). The first ride happened to be in the wet, and gave me the best impression of the new set. But then that that faded because I started to question if it was because I was accustomed to the PR2's worn condition. Either way, I do think the GP4000S's feel so much more solid, in terms of response and confidence.

I've ridden two Michelins: Lithion and PR2, which are advertised as the same tire sans weight differences. My general impression of the brand/those tires is that they tend to need a break-in as I find my front losing grip in corners. Through their life I can't say I ever felt 100% confident in cornering with either in the front. As rear tires, they work out - based on my experience using a Vredestein Fortezza SE in the front with the Lithion in the rear. I do wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this.

Not to add to the selection, but in terms of front end confidence, I think the Hutchinson Fusion 2's served me best, followed by a tie between the Fortezza SE and the GP4000S. "Outside" recommendations aside, I'm sure you know where I'm leaning to between your two options.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
How do we define "great tire?"

Maybe I believe in magic, but I find it interesting that neither Michelin nor Conti likes to broadcase thread count on their tire lines.

For half the price of PR3s I can usually find Rubino Pro Slicks-- which deliver almost the same value as PRs.

MerlinAma said:
Aren't the Vittoria tires you mention for race day? I bought some for big events but don't expect great mileage from them.
For general riding I use ProRace 3 or 2 if I can find them.
Tried Contis and hated them. Not a very good feel.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
AlanS said:
Quickie: I have ridden Michelin Axil Pros and Race 2's for years. Now it's time to buy new (my supply ran out). The reviews of the 3's do not seem favorable: puncture resistance and mounting issues.
I want light weight and all the advantages of a great tire. So, I have come to two choices: Conti GP4000S or the Mich ProRace 3's.
Give me the answer, ole wise ones....
They are both really nice tires, I use both of them. That said, I slightly prefer the feel of the Pro Race 3, although I noticed that it wears out faster than the GP4000S. Plus, the Pro Race 3 makes me feel like I have to rub the tires off after each ride.

I have had/run through about a half dozen Continental GP3000 / GP4000 tires prior to this, but the Michelin Pro Race 3 is my first Michelin. So I can't speak yet of the latter's ownership experience but I have been very happy with the Contis.

Like many would tell you, it's all subjective.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
BTW- what reviews are you referring to? The RBR reviews (no offense) are a bit of a joke. It full of people complaining (pick any tire) that they received a flat within 500 miles of it being new, therefore the tire is crap. Sort of like all the frame reviews that begin, "I just purchased the bike last week and...."

AlanS said:
The reviews say that the Vic's are a high wear tire...great at first, then poop out. I've just had so much luck with the Mich, but the 3's get mixed reviews (as opposed to the 2's that I have had...). Just thought I would ask about the Conti's.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I've been riding Conti 4000's 25mm since last spring and I love them. Grippy and long lasting. Great flat protection as well. Overall perfect tires in my book. Still going strong at over 4500 miles.

· Registered
25 Posts
I've run Micheline 3's for the past year and to be honest, I've absolutely hated them. I never felt comfortable cornering on them especially in damp or wet weather. Switched back to Conti 4000's and such a world of difference. They stick better and overall feel rounder so I have more contact with the road even though they're still 23c.

It also took me only 2000km to wear out the micheline tires on my first ride, before this year I had run Continental 4 season tires and had the same great experience with them.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
TOflat said:
I've run Micheline 3's for the past year and to be honest, I've absolutely hated them. I never felt comfortable cornering on them especially in damp or wet weather. Switched back to Conti 4000's and such a world of difference. They stick better and overall feel rounder so I have more contact with the road even though they're still 23c.

It also took me only 2000km to wear out the micheline tires on my first ride, before this year I had run Continental 4 season tires and had the same great experience with them.
Good recommendation on the GP 4 Seasons. It is a great tire for all-season riding, plus they last a long time and do really well on dirty, wet, snowy, icy, crapped-out roads. I used to ride them on my "training" wheels.

Compared to the GP4000S however, the GP 4 Seasons is a bit harsh. I guess this is the fundamental trade-off between durability, grip, and suppleness.

· Registered
282 Posts
ive just gone from specialized all condition pros to michelin race pro 3s, the 3s are lighter feel faster roll better and are more grippy and supple over the bumps, they have a soft compound though so i know they will wear fast but they feel really nice

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Out of the three mentioned, the Vitts are far and away the best choice.
People who crap on them, for whatever reason, likely haven't ridden them.

I rode PR3s for about a month, and hated them. Soft, washy, and flat really easily.
I ride GP4000S tires in the winter as they roll reasonably well, wear well and don't flat.

In the summer, it's Vitt OC CX or Veloflex Paves. Both are supple, roll like crazy, turn predictably and have better flat protection than most folks SAY they have.
I get somewhere around 2500 miles out of a rear and almost twice that out of a front.

Two things...
They are high end race/training tires. They WILL NOT wear, or prevent flats like a GP 4 season. If you go into it thinking they will, then you are deluded.
Riding crap tires on high $ wheels is missing the point of having high $ wheels. You are limiting the performance by putting Michelin Krylions on your carbon clinchers.

· Registered
238 Posts
I ride or have ridden PR3s (and PR2s) and lately GP 4000S. They are all great performers in terms of grip, comfort, perceived rolling resistance, etc. I do notice that the GP 4000S treads don't cut as easily as the Michelins, but I always pick the glass shards out of my treads between rides anyway, so that's never an issue.

That's the key: Pick a tire...any tire...but keep the treads picked clean of glass. Then you'll have very very very few flats. I get at most one per year despite several thousand of miles of riding.

· Registered
192 Posts
I currently ride GP4000S on my rain bike, Pro3's on one of my bikes, and Ultremo R.1's on one bike. Until this year I've been on all Pro3's, but I wanted to try the others. The Ultremo R.1 is the best clincher I've ever ridden. It is light, fast, and has GREAT feel for the road. I like the ride of the GP4000S but it feels sluggish compared to the Pro3 and Ultremo. I don't know how many miles I'll get out of the Ultremos and GP 4000S, but I usually get 2000 miles out of my rear Pro3 and significantly more out of the front assuming no serious punctures (so-far I've had no flats with them).

My order of preference is:
Ultremo R.1
Pro3 Race
GP 4000s

In the past I've also been on L3R Pro's, Zaffiro Pro's, Michelin Lithion's, and Conti Attack/Force, and a few other less note-worthy tires... out of everything I've ridden, I like my current three selections the best.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
I have GP4000 on one bike and Vittoria Open Corsas on the other.

Both are great and I think the difference as far as feel goes boils down to: The Open Corsas are better on good roads and worse on bad roads. That might not seem logical but if I'm on half decent tar the Corsas have a much better feel than the GP4000. But when on crap roads I'd rather have be on the GP4000.

So between those two it probably boils down to if you want an 'all rounder' or something to maximize your time on decent roads and pay for it a little on the really bad ones.

Corsa's wear a lot quicker, or more specifically they have less rubber to be worn.......but I haven't had any issues at all with flats like I hear reported on the interweb. Some of these people must ride though glass on purpose or something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.