Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I consider buying a used Lemond Zurich, full campy Chorus 8 speed. Frame is silver/blue and some yellow. Seems like a good deal (around 600$ canadian) including a carbon Rev-X rear wheel, low mileage according to owner. Anybody knows what year?

Also I see freewheels are hard to find (59$ at Harris). But would be the issues to consider. This would be an affordable training bike for a friend.

Would you get Campy 8 speed& Should I?

Thanks for your advice and ideas.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,400 Posts
No, and no.
Shifters, changers, and rear wheel are obsolete.
Campy 8 speed cassettes are not always easy to find.
Try $450-$500 Cdn.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
No. What you're talking about is 3 generations obsolete. The 8-speed stuff is going to be hard to find parts for, potentially expensive. If you were talking about a retro bike with downtube shifters, that'd be one thing, but this is like '80's cars -- too modern to be simple, but not modern enough to be ... well, nevermind that.

If you were talking 9-speed, the (new) 9-speed Campy is all upgradable to 10-speed -- that is to say, with the effort, you can swap the shifters to 10-speed, cassettes fit on the same freehub bodies, front cranksets are interchangable, etc.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Too much

tempeteOntheRoad said:
Hello. I consider buying a used Lemond Zurich, full campy Chorus 8 speed. Frame is silver/blue and some yellow. Seems like a good deal (around 600$ canadian) including a carbon Rev-X rear wheel, low mileage according to owner. Anybody knows what year?

Also I see freewheels are hard to find (59$ at Harris). But would be the issues to consider. This would be an affordable training bike for a friend.

Would you get Campy 8 speed& Should I?
Are you sure it is a freewheel? Some 8 speed freewheels were made, but it is much more likely that it is a cassette. That said, you'd be stuck in time with a system that has long since been obsolete, so any parts replacement and maintenance would be difficult to impossible and certainly expensive, getting worse with time. That Spinergy wheel only had a good reputation for about a year before catastrophic and other types of failures soured everyone on them. This bike would be a good deal at a significantly lower price and if you didn't plan to ride it much, eliminating the maintenance concerns. We'd all like our old bikes to be worth a lot more than they are, and your seller sounds like he's of that mind set.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks to all

Thanks for the quick response.

I had my doubts, now I know. The price for the bike is 500$ plus shipping, but I don't think it is worth it.

See ya all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts