Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what size bike any of the top guys are riding. I've looked on line and can't find much. I heard Lance was on a 58cm bike- he's 5'11 and 160. I'm interested mostly in the following: Tyler Hamilton, Levi Leiphimer, George Hincapie, Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Why??

schwing said:
Does anyone know what size bike any of the top guys are riding. I've looked on line and can't find much. I heard Lance was on a 58cm bike- he's 5'11 and 160. I'm interested mostly in the following: Tyler Hamilton, Levi Leiphimer, George Hincapie, Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso.
Why and what does it matter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate those kind of responses

Do I really need to explain? CURIOSITY- that's why there are message boards- if I knew the answer I wouldn't be asking. MAGNOLIALOVER- Please don't respond to my threads again-
Thanks

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Jeesh..

schwing said:
Do I really need to explain? CURIOSITY- that's why there are message boards- if I knew the answer I wouldn't be asking. MAGNOLIALOVER- Please don't respond to my threads again-
Thanks
Someone asks a simple question.

I ask again though. Why is it important and why do you want to know?

For your information, I ride a medium Giant Team TCR carbon with a 120mm stem with a 1mm spacer underneath it.

Now I'll make it my expressed desire to respond to every single one of your threads, whether you like it or not. I can't wait...

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
schwing said:
Thanks
Chill out pal.....life is too short....

Your question is very vague. Every one of the riders you listed rides a different make of bike and they are each measured differently....Lance might ride a 58cm Trek but he would ride a different size BMC, Specialized, Giant or Cervelo because they are each measured differently

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
magnolialover said:
Now I'll make it my expressed desire to respond to every single one of your threads, whether you like it or not. I can't wait...
Dude you better be careful...you may have just invoked the wrath of Schwing!!!! :rolleyes:

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
schwing said:
A few pros give out their measurements on their website, such as Paolo Bettini.

Colnago used to have a page that has sketches of some sponsored pro riders' bike fits, but it's not up anymore. Maybe somebody has a copy of the images?

Not sure how it will help you, other than your curiosity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wasted time...........

Drone thanks for a good response. I don't have time for these other ramblings. My Question simple: My reason- to know more about cycling and the Big Players. Profesional Cycling needs people to be interested in the riders and know more information. When I was a kid, I collected baseball cards and was interested in knowing everything about my favorite players. Now that interest is in cycling and trying to find more information. There is tons of information about Lance- and he is a huge reason that there are so many avid bikers. I'm mainly interested in knowing more about bikes as well. I've never riden a GIANT, Cervelo, Specialized etc- but this information seems valuable if I ever wanted to- Not that I'll ever ride like those guys. But to know that a similarly built guy like Levi rides (guessing) a SWorks 55 and he is 5'8 and 155- this gives me an idea of what these riders get the most performace from their given manufacturers.

I'm sorry to sound impatient with those other responses- I'm not trying to pick a fight- they just don't answer the question I was asking- and it seems like a waste of your time and mine to respond like that.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Do they pay you to ride it?

Also, I've heard TCRs are tough to size to my height -- I'm right about 6'0"; people say the Medium is a little on the small side, but large is too big. I ended up with a c'dale because it was cheap, anyhow...

·
Registered
727 Posts
hincapies bike came through the lbs i work at to be assembled when he was here a couple months back for one of lance's charity shindigs. it was a 62 cm. he showed a bit of post but not too much. maybe 8 or 9 inches. very stretched out with a long stem. you'll find that the pros ride bigger bikes than recreational riders their own size typically would. pedal economy and a non-constricted position are super important, and they don't have to worry as much about stop-start riding and other factors that can lead rec riders to go a little smaller. i believe lance rides a 58. Frankie Andreu was 6'2 and rode a 60. he realized he could have ridden a 62, but said he liked the extra stiffness and better handling of a 60 cm frame.
bottom line:you're not a pro. i'm not a pro. we ought to ride set-up's that work for us and our riding needs. it is interesting to hear what set-up's the pros are going with though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
schwing said:
I'm sorry to sound impatient with those other responses- I'm not trying to pick a fight- they just don't answer the question I was asking- and it seems like a waste of your time and mine to respond like that.
In fairness the guy was asking the question so that he could better answer your question. There is too much wise-a$$iness on the internet though so I can understnad you're being a bit jaded.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For your information, I ride a medium Giant Team TCR carbon with a 120mm stem with a 1mm spacer underneath it.

:confused:

Hey Magnolialover,you crack me up!where does one even find a 1mm spacer?did you make it yourself.was 2mm too much and no spacers not enough.doubt most could tell the difference between 1mm and no spacer....thats pretty funny.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Kind of..

sw3759 said:

:confused:

Hey Magnolialover,you crack me up!where does one even find a 1mm spacer?did you make it yourself.was 2mm too much and no spacers not enough.doubt most could tell the difference between 1mm and no spacer....thats pretty funny.
Kind of missed a zero there in my post didn't I? 10mm, oops, typo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the craftmanship required to fabricate a sturdy 1mm spacer would be pretty admirable, definitely

yeah,that's why i thought it was so funny.i can just see someone sanding away with a 2.5mm carbon spacer...... :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts