Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota got their fingers slammed in the door Monday. The only reason that I mention this is that One of our elite team members managed to go for the W.

· limit screwed
807 Posts
Meanwhile in New Jersey, JJ Haedo manages to win the Tour of Somerville with only a single teammate for support. Kyle Wamsley (Colavita) and Dan Schmatz (Kodak-Sierra Nevada) fill out the podium.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This guy is so "gone" for next years team. Last year we lost Our best rider to a Pro team, next year, this guy will also be pulling down a full time paycheck.
Looks like, his team-mate, who pulled him to the line, will be our number 1 guy.
Ps. I found out that this guy sprints at 1800 watts.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found some results on the cyclingnews website, for the Saturday and Sunday races, but not the Monday race. Couldn't find any pics on that website.
Three or four times a year all of us "slugs" get to be towed around at 24 mph by the Elite team. While they are doing this, they may be sitting up, talking on their cell phones. Nothing beats a fast 60 mile ride, while "On the Bus".

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Was a good Crit.

I live in Rock Island at the top of the hill. Grumpy, I thought that kit looked like yours from the thread in General. The races were great again this year. If I would have known RBR's were in town blocks from my house I'd have had an oasis from the heat that day. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More and more of our competitors are calling it a "clown suit" (sour grapes, I guess). I would have been there, but my youngest kid had just flown in from Japan with his girlfriend. Had a hard enough time doing a local race on Saturday where I missed the break.

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Grumpy are you referring to the Snake Alley Crit? If so I prolly saw you and didnt even know it. I live here in Burlington. Great show toyota united put on for both the road race and the crit, all I can say is Wherry is a MONSTER.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, It was the Quad Cities Crit that our regional elite team skunked the Pro's for the "W".
On Sunday, all they could manage was a 7th. Saturday, at Snake Alley, they came up with a 3rd, 5th, 8th, & 15th. Friday, at the Burlington RR, they pulled in a 3rd, 4th, & 10th.
Not bad results against full time Pro's.

G

·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Toyota got their fingers slammed in the door Monday. The only reason that I mention this is that One of our elite team members managed to go for the W.
please, this is hardly a "pro" race. what were there, like, 6 pros there? Is a pro guaranteed a win just for showing up? It's a good race in all, and for sure a good result, but really it's just a big regional race and perhaps NRC status is a little much. Especially with all the "pros" over in the N.E. racing. I wouldn't ever go so far as to brag about "skunking the pros" in a mostly amateur race.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I left out the "keywords"...Phonak, Wurth, Lotto, Vinokourov, Basso, Ullricj, Giro, Jan, Tour Prediction, Lance, Simoni, Lance, from my post. At first, I thought that your reply was from a Troll, but then I thought..."What if this guy really means it"..........That's very disturbing.
Yes, Toyota-United split their team between Quad cities and Somerville, and yes Haedo is their best sprinter, but Garcia, Sullivan, Goerke, and Wherry couldn't get the job done.

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
needmoreair said:
please, this is hardly a "pro" race. what were there, like, 6 pros there? Is a pro guaranteed a win just for showing up? It's a good race in all, and for sure a good result, but really it's just a big regional race and perhaps NRC status is a little much. Especially with all the "pros" over in the N.E. racing. I wouldn't ever go so far as to brag about "skunking the pros" in a mostly amateur race.

By your own logic here if there were "like 6 pros in a mostly amateur race" dont you think those 6 pros MIGHT be favored over said amateurs? I mean cause like they are still pros after all right? The attitude you ve taken in this post was almost shocking to me anyone that posts on these boards should know that amount of hard work a pro has to put in for their job. To take the results the way you did shows either little of your true knowledge of bike racing, or your lack of knowledge of the NRC and its riders. If Lance Armstrong showed up to one of these races would he get a guaranteed win just for putting the bibs back on? I don't think anyone gives these races away, ever.
Good on those "amateurs" and congrats to your team Grumpy.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being on an elite amateur team means that all your equipment (Bikes & kit) is given to you to use as long as you are a member of the team. Your travel expensives, meals, and race entry fees are paid for. You need to have some sort of job that allows you have a place to sleep, and food to eat, while not on a road trip. For every true "Pro" out there, there are probably 30-40 elite team riders who are just "that much" from being "Pro caliber"
The year before last, we had our top rider "move up" in the food chain. This year, we had our top woman "move up" to Colavita/ Cooking Light. Next year, I'm sure Puffer will also "move up".

G

·
deastin said:
By your own logic here if there were "like 6 pros in a mostly amateur race" dont you think those 6 pros MIGHT be favored over said amateurs? I mean cause like they are still pros after all right? .
Are you serious? Really? 6 guys in a 100+ person field? I mean, Quad Cities is hardly a selective course. The previous days were a bit more difficult and you saw who won. You guys are all geed up because you think your amateur guys knocked-down some proverbial goliath.
"To take the results the way you did shows either little of your true knowledge of bike racing, or your lack of knowledge of the NRC and its riders."
Again, what are you talking about? You guys have some idea that this was a real "pro" race and the real "pros" sucked too much to win. Come on?! Where are you getting this from? This is a lack of knowledge for how racing at the NRC level works, especially a very low tiered NRC with a comparatively easy course comprised of an amateur field with a smattering of Pros. Their was no "skunking of the pros" going on. Get real. That's showing a complete lack of respect for a professional rider. When George Hincapie finishes midpack in Greenville in September, are you going to berate him and tell him how the amateurs skunked him? Should I go on....??

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
needmoreair said:
Are you serious? Really? 6 guys in a 100+ person field? I mean, Quad Cities is hardly a selective course. The previous days were a bit more difficult and you saw who won. You guys are all geed up because you think your amateur guys knocked-down some proverbial goliath.
"To take the results the way you did shows either little of your true knowledge of bike racing, or your lack of knowledge of the NRC and its riders."
Again, what are you talking about? You guys have some idea that this was a real "pro" race and the real "pros" sucked too much to win. Come on?! Where are you getting this from? This is a lack of knowledge for how racing at the NRC level works, especially a very low tiered NRC with a comparatively easy course comprised of an amateur field with a smattering of Pros. Their was no "skunking of the pros" going on. Get real. That's showing a complete lack of respect for a professional rider. When George Hincapie finishes midpack in Greenville in September, are you going to berate him and tell him how the amateurs skunked him? Should I go on....??

What are you saying? Sullivan, Wilkerson, Wherry or Garcia could have won if they wanted to?

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't bother trying, I smell a troll....Well, either a troll or a "real" expert.
Rule #1...Never feed a troll.

G

·
Cruzer2424 said:
What are you saying? Sullivan, Wilkerson, Wherry or Garcia could have won if they wanted to?
No, where are you getting that from? I am saying this: if it had just been said that, oh, my amateur guy won this NRC race, well, that'd just be swell! But when you go and say, yeah, he skunked all the pros, really shoved it in the faces of United Pro, you know, they just couldn't get it done when faced with such fierce competition as AbD or whoever. That's just distasteful and that is an ignorant thing to say. But I digress, I mean, you guys are probably right. I mean, seriously, Wherry, Sullivan! They call themselvers pros when they couldn't even win Quad-Cities!! The nerve! They should be downgraded to 4's!! .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.