Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When pros list their "racing weight" on team websites, is it typical for them to list a lower or higher weight than their norm, or do they tend to be pretty accurate? Or, is there no trend at all, with some riders / teams doing each?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I have seen both directions, most obviously in LA and Ullrich being listed as the same weight and Ullrich the same weight as in 1997. But most seem to go on the low side. People can estimate watts fairly accurately from TTs so understating makes estmates of watts per kg higher and more frightening to the competition. When watts are listed they frequently go high for the same reason.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I would think their weight would fluctuate throughout the season. A grand tour rider will certainly lose a few pounds leading into a race. However, a sprinter type like Boonen or Petacchi I would have to think would stay almost the same weight yearound.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
I would think their weight would fluctuate throughout the season. A grand tour rider will certainly lose a few pounds leading into a race. However, a sprinter type like Boonen or Petacchi I would have to think would stay almost the same weight yearound.
this is true to the best of my knowledge-pros will pack on a good 5-10 pounds pretty easily in the off-season. this is a good thing, not a bad thing. it would be too big a strain on the body to stay at a fighting weight year-round. check out this interview george hincapie did for pez, part-way through he talks about his weight and fitness levels.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1935

1 - 4 of 4 Posts