1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Au contraire, lots of riders are gear freaks. Eddy and Lance were very particular about their machines, Zabel is a well-known collector, etc. As for the effectiveness of the "hands-off" approach, ask David Millar.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Au contraire, lots of riders are gear freaks. Eddy and Lance were very particular about their machines, Zabel is a well-known collector, etc. As for the effectiveness of the "hands-off" approach, ask David Millar.
I'm sure David Millar has touched a chain once. . . no evidence of a front deraileur though.

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Prudent pre-race inspecton

IMHO he is only doing what every rider should do; check their equipment before they ride it. This is just like pilots going over an aircraft before they fly it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
DiLuca video

Is it just me or in the video does he stop his front wheel with the right brake lever around the 27 second mark? I guess he must wire the brakes differently than most ? Are a lot of people routing their brakes like that ?

power1369

·
Registered
60 Posts
power1369 said:
Is it just me or in the video does he stop his front wheel with the right brake lever around the 27 second mark? I guess he must wire the brakes differently than most ? Are a lot of people routing their brakes like that ?

power1369

There is a name for it that escapes me right now. But it is common for cyclist that also ride motorcycles to swap the controls around on their bikes to match their motorcycles.

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
power1369 said:

power1369

I thought Italians like that switched configuration. Gianni Bungo had it like that too.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
wks9326 said:
There is a name for it that escapes me right now. But it is common for cyclist that also ride motorcycles to swap the controls around on their bikes to match their motorcycles.
I call that break routing the "right way" lots of people have theirs done the "wrong way". I have to remind myself to set the breaks up wrong when I build other peoples bikes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
From personal experience a quick pre-race mech-check ritual can make life a lot simpler during a race. A couple years ago while lining up for the start of a criterium, the rider next to me lost his balance and fell over the back of my bike but I though nothing of it at the time. When the race started a few minutes later, I could not understand why I was struggling so much going into the first turn and was completely baffled on the backside straight (a brick road surface with a slight downhill component) as to why I was decelerating so much when I stopped pedaling for the slight switchback to the finish line straight? As I crossed the finish line I started to notice that smell from losts of carbon brake pads being used on carbon wheels and realized the back brake had been skewed and was binding the rear rim - which also explains why that laps power output ended up being so high!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.