Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on riding the CA coast this summer over roughly 3 weeks camping along the way. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for keeping the salt air from killing my ride. I figure with all the overnight moisture directly off the ocean it can't be good yet since I am touring any additional gear (tarp) is not something I would prefer to carry.

Any suggestions?

r

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
Framesaver

Several companies make a framesaver type of product. Sprays or pours into your frame, drain it out, go ride.

Enjoy the ride. It's nice out there. And the prevailing winds run generally southward or so.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
No worries

3 weeks won't hurt your frame, even if it's raining the whole time. I'd wipe & lube the chain once or twice a week and cover the saddle at night with a plastic bag to keep your bum dry when you start in the morning. Your bike computer might object to constant moisture, so it might be happier in the tent with you at night. If it pours the whole time you might check your hubs after the trip, otherwise just enjoy your trip and don't worry about your bike.

·
Registered
21,439 Posts
Not to worry

Unless you plan on riding on the beaches a lot and catching the ocean spray, there's nothing you need to do to protect your frame or any other bike parts. The term "salt air" is not meaningful for your trip and actually refers to the smell of rotting seaweed and fish :)

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot is ....

along the coast HWY 1 and will be camping almost directly on the beach so wasn't sure. I live at the beach and while my bike is garaged it has to be constantly washed and dried to keep from developing rust in bolt heads etc. I was afraid the constant onslaught over 3 weeks would be too much.

Thanks.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I was wondering what I could coat it with. I have asked all my LBS with such a variety of opinions, none of which has worked well. Clear polish just might do the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts