Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed my my new SR BB cups (cleaned and relubed the bearings, too), and everything went fine, except the black finish got a few little scratches where the BB tool engages the notches in the cups. Now, these flaws are really tiny (the finish came off right at the edges of a few of the notches), and even I can live with those, as anal as I tend to be about such things :rolleyes:, but I still wonder if there would have been a way to avoid those. I used the Park BB tool so that I could attach my torque wrench, and I even wrapped the cups with a few layers of Teflon tape for protection. However, at 35Nm the forces are quite substantial, so the Teflon broke in a few places. Out of curiosity, is there a better way to do this? More Teflon? Something else?

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Sharpie for sure is the answer. As for protection...no ideas other than what you tried. Maybe a few more layers of tape. You could also try black electical tape. Might be a tighter fit and more durable.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cendres said:
Does the Campagnolo tool fit tightly enough to prevent this? I don't know, I haven't used one (yet).
Me neither. It might fit better, but then you can't use a torque wrench, and need to torque by the seat of your pants. Sharpie is a good idea, though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've seen LBS wrenchs put something like a plastic baggie or cling wrap around the BB before they put the wrench to the finish.

Agreed, it's a bummer to mar something that was designed with such a nice finish.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kjmunc said:
I've seen LBS wrenchs put something like a plastic baggie or cling wrap around the BB before they put the wrench to the finish.
Interesting. I thought of using cling wrap, too. Maybe it would be tougher than Teflon tape. I'll let you know in a couple of years, when I swap cups next time :D

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Saran wrap, or other clear plastic food wrap over the cups, works well to prevent scratching. It's easier to overlay a small square of Saran wrap, and it's not as soft & tear-prone as teflon tape.

I think auto touchup paint will be better looking & more durable than a sharpie pen, for the cups. The sharpie rapidly fades away when exposed to sun.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
tom_h said:
I think auto touchup paint will be better looking & more durable than a sharpie pen, for the cups. The sharpie rapidly fades away when exposed to sun.
While by no means a permanent finish, it is very easy to touch it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts