Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new bike - with a white matte finish. I know - just ride the damn bike. But again... it's new. It's matte. And, it's white.

Anyone got a suggestion to "treat" that finish to prevent staining from greasy fingers, road splatter (damn red clay)? One suggestion I got was Lemon Pledge. Any downside to a traditional spray/liquid automotive wax - wiped on, of course.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The best way to keep it clean is to hang it up on the wall and just look at it. lol. you got the hardest color to keep clean. no real downside to automotive wax. just test it out on an area with low visiblity. unfortunately there is no way that color is going to stay clean.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The best way to keep it clean is to hang it up on the wall and just look at it. lol. you got the hardest color to keep clean. no real downside to automotive wax. just test it out on an area with low visiblity. unfortunately there is no way that color is going to stay clean.
I have a matte black frame and I think it is the hardest color to keep clean.

FWIW - I use the "satin" finish Armorall type products (I use a different product, but can't remember the name of it, I think it's got "aerospace protectant" somewhere on the label.

It kind of satinizes the matte finish, but (1) I don't mind that and (2) it quickly wears back to the regular matte finish.

I don't understand the "protection" part of the question. I've only just cleaned the bike when it gets shiny/oily areas and/or dirt on it. Actually I rarely clean it, but a simple wipe with a spray cleaner and a rag will clean up anything you're describing.

I'm looking for a protectant type product that will give me a longer lasting satin-y look and a little more grime resistance than the matte. I don't like the full on matte look and it gets dirty too easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.