Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my first carbon bike in a few weeks - a Cannondale Synapse 3 SL. It's a pretty nice looking bike, clear coat black fade.
My question is how to protect the underside of the bike from road debris such as gravel, rocks, etc. Is there a product similar to the one placed on the chain stay? If not, has anyone applied their own protective product?
I'm reluctant to put on clear tape for fear of ruining the surface of the bike if it adheres too strongly.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
After reading this, I thought about my bikes so I looked at the DT and BB shell. Might be my roads, I don't have any nicks like I'd get on the car hood. Could be a piddly snail pace I ride at too. ;) I get more scratches from leaning my bikes against each other then I've had road debris.

If anything, I'd second the clear bra application.

·
ProtoJ
85 Posts
Veloskin

I use velo skin from www.excelsports.com. I think it is basically the same thing as a clear bra, but is much thinner. I have it under the downtube and various other places on the bike and is almost invisible. You really cant even see where the edge is. It is allready cut into sections that need minor trimming to fit your bike. It goes on with soapy water and a squeegie that is provided with the kit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Littlewheel said:
Go to any shop that applies clear bras for vehicles and they should be able to sell you some 3M clear bra material. I use it without any issues and it comes off clean and easy.
Perfect material for around cables, on bike computer screens and any other area that gets abuse. You can buy bulk pieces or just a couple of door jamb pieces on eBay or onlline. Works great, pretty much invisible. Brand name is "Xpel"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Electrical Tape for the downtube no doubt about it. Works great, cheap & easily removed without leaving residue. Comes on many colors to blend well with your frame. My bike has a black frame and it blends in well.

For some of the other more visible scratch prone areas I like 3M clear packaging tape. Almost invisible. Install with clean hands, sharp scissors and try to only touch the edges not the sticky side.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
i ride so fast, when a pebble comes off my front tire, I'm already miles past it.
I ride faster ... the pebbles that get kicked by my rear wheel get thrown up into the air so fast they eventually come back down and hit me in the top of the head... I'm considering retrofitting some sort of protection device for that area of my body.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,336 Posts
Tape Removal

Dave Riley said:
I'm reluctant to put on clear tape for fear of ruining the surface of the bike if it adheres too strongly. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
I've used clear vinyl tape on three carbon frames (two painted, one clear) for over eight years and have never ran into a problem with it ruining the paint or clearcoat of the frame. The oniy real precaution I take is to warm the tape up with a blow dryer set to low before removal.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I also have a Synapse carbon and have used the 3M clear bra material. It works just fine. I put it on the chain stay and the area near the BB. I ordered it from Xpel.com. They sell it by the foot x different inch sizes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.