Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the new product on Amazon called BTT Bike Trainer Tape? It protects your good tires while riding on the indoor trainer so you don't have to swap out wheels when you want to switch from indoor riding to outdoor riding.

Robin

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Just use last year's tires and you won't have to worry about them. I use a Continental Gator Skin back tire and it can handle plenty of trainer abuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used old tires during winter but became very inconvenient every time I wanted to go on a quick ride around the neighborhood. I just want to take my bike off the trainer and ride without dealing with changing tires or wheels.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I train indoors on a trainer regularly. It's not nearly as hard on tires as people seem to claim unless you're using very delicate stuff.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I just use a wheel that has a tire that I wouldn't trust to ride outside on. (worn thin)
If there is a dry day, I just swap out the rear with another wheel with a good tire (takes 30 seconds)

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Anyone tried the new product on Amazon called BTT Bike Trainer Tape? It protects your good tires while riding on the indoor trainer so you don't have to swap out wheels when you want to switch from indoor riding to outdoor riding.

Robin
The small number of Amazon reviews are positive, but after watching their video I have a hard time believing that tape will stay on for any length of time. However, It's only $15. Why not try it and post a review

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,422 Posts

Robin
Man, just when you think you've heard of every silly, pointless bike-related product, along comes one more......I'm assuming these will go the way of the $10 titanium water bottle bolts, and the skewed saddle for people who ride on heavily-crowned roads......

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Seems there's a whole new class of trainers that don't require your own rear wheel. I haven't tried them but a fellow cyclist swears by the technology.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think BTT would be popular with very experienced cyclists who have no problem keeping a garage full of bike parts and changing tires and wheels very quickly; however, for the rest of us who are new to cycling or Triathlons both of those options are not convenient or quick. If all I have to do is peel off tape to switch to outdoor riding then its worth it to me. I ordered Bike Trainer Tape and will post a review next week.

Thanks for all of the feedback

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm with Spade, have never had issues with normal tires on a trainer. Maybe not my 'A' tires but I certainly use any other tire I'd train on or do a Group ride or Century on.
On a related note, do those trainer tires make a noticeable difference as far as noise goes? I use a Cycleops Fluid trainer.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
On a related note, do those trainer tires make a noticeable difference as far as noise goes? I use a Cycleops Fluid trainer.
The noise is caused by the "polishing" of the tire against the smooth roller. The solution is to either scuff the tire up with some sandpaper periodically or go ride on the road for a few miles if possible. Repeat as necessary. I had such a "squeaky" problem on both the trainer and rollers and this cured it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Right now I am just using my regular tire. I wipe the tire down first with alcohol which seems to not only clean it, but makes it slightly grippier.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I didn't think BTT would be popular with very experienced cyclists who have no problem keeping a garage full of bike parts and changing tires and wheels very quickly; however, for the rest of us who are new to cycling or Triathlons both of those options are not convenient or quick.
Then make it convenient and quick. Get a spare wheel set and practice. You can find decent wheelsets for $100 or so bucks, especially if you go used, and you will likely very much like having it handy (many, many times I've noticed/had a tire issue right before a ride and just grabbed another wheel and gone). It's one of those things that's nice to have around, along with a good box of tools.

Not being able to change a wheel quickly is just silly.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Then make it convenient and quick. Get a spare wheel set and practice. You can find decent wheelsets for $100 or so bucks, especially if you go used, and you will likely very much like having it handy (many, many times I've noticed/had a tire issue right before a ride and just grabbed another wheel and gone). It's one of those things that's nice to have around, along with a good box of tools.

Not being able to change a wheel quickly is just silly.
A spare set of wheels goes a long way on keeping a cyclist riding when there is an issue with a wheel. Specially when said cyclist only has one bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about a bike just dedicated to the trainer! That is my set-up, and I use the trainer specific tire and it shows no signs of wear.

Just an option for those with N+1 bikes.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I think it's worth a try......assuming you can take off and put back on the same tape unlimited times. It would get too expensive if it were single use and you did a lot of both trainer and outdoors.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
get some rollers...I don't notice any tire wear with them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts