Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New lappy, time to decide what cyber-condom to use with Win 7. I've used Zone Alarm for firewall and AV for a good while, and have been happy enough in that I've not caught anything, but the updates brought my old machine to a grinding halt, and system scans were convinced they were the most important thing the computer could possibly be doing at whatever time they chose to occur.

So, what does the vast knowledge of the Lounge prefer?

Malwarebytes for manual cleaning and scans, naturally, but what of firewalls and resident malware programs?

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
i have COMODO installed on all our machines here at home, can be picked up for free @ downloads.com. Its easy and semi unintrusive for a firewall app. The lady and I are rocking the newest version of AVG (free ver) and I think it works way better (less bloat) then previous versions.

RE: Systems scans running at bad times, ALWAYS set your system scan when you KNOW you will NOT be using your machine. Ours are set to "smart scan" @ 5am every morning and I have a "full scan" scheduled for Sunday morning same time. No issues in over 3 yrs, even when navigating to some less then kosher sites :)

HTH

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
get a Mac. /thread

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
danl1 said:
New lappy, time to decide what cyber-condom to use with Win 7. I've used Zone Alarm for firewall and AV for a good while, and have been happy enough in that I've not caught anything, but the updates brought my old machine to a grinding halt, and system scans were convinced they were the most important thing the computer could possibly be doing at whatever time they chose to occur.

So, what does the vast knowledge of the Lounge prefer?

Malwarebytes for manual cleaning and scans, naturally, but what of firewalls and resident malware programs?
Dan, I've been using computer associates for MANY years and have NEVER had a virus get in. And I had 4 kids on my network!

edit: I am typing this from a new, 2 day old Lappy with 7 on it (and CA)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your best bet is to not use your computer as an Administrator and set up seperate USER accounts. If you set it up correctly, 7 can protect you from a lot... unfortunately most don't set it up correctly.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
danl1, I have been using avast in my PC and so far I have not had any issues...

I don't know what others think about using OpenDNS for safer browsing..

http://www.opendns.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts