Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day when I encountered a dog (or perhaps a person in another scenario! ), I felt kind of.....naked. That is, I realized I have no protection at all (my old bike had a frame pump and I guess I thought i could swing it in a pinch). I dont want to be completely paranoid, and I dont want to strap a pistol to my calf, but what could I carry? My dad used to have a can of "Halt" on his bike. Is that about it, or is is there something better?

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Lots of threads about being chased by dogs. One common weapon that is touted as working well, is simply a stream of water from your water bottle. The other is carrying a small nucular device ;-))))))

· Registered
134 Posts
maybe i'm crazy but...

I like to entertain the idea that I would win in a man v. dog fight. I will no doubt be bitten couple of times but my strategy would be to get it around the neck and maybe of its feet to immobilize it. Use a nice sleeper hold to finish it off. I have a plan to fight black bears and terrorists as well... just in case. might as well be prepared.
I have only been riding since the spring but I've never encountered any dogs. Are dogs really such a problem for many cyclists?
OP: sorry i couldnt be more helpful.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
sbglax13 said:
Are dogs really such a problem for many cyclists?
They can be- depends your routes. When I lived in TN and GA, they were constantly there, but rarely a problem.

But, my philosophy is a lot like yours. If a dog has an angle on me and I can't clearly get around him- I say F- it. I am slowing down and going to challenge him. Worst comes to worst, and they want to fight, I am kicking their ass.

In probably 100 times, I have never had a altercation even come close to happening. As soon as I slow to some point where the dog starts to see me as a person and not a moving object, they back off and keep their distance.

//Peta people: I am a HUGE dog lover, but if he attacks me I am not going to roll over and get chewed. However I would try to just get the dog away, and do no harm to it.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
The problem is not to outrun the dog, but when the dog crosses your path and knocks you down. This will really piss you off. Groups of cyclists can serve to make a dog think twice. They seem more likely to chase a lone rider.
If a person attacks you, you should have tons of adrenaline on your side. I guess a can of halt can be good, but you might pepper spray yourself or other riders in a breeze, if you are in a group.

· Registered
309 Posts
Try this. It works. Sorry to all of the dog lovers. First. Jump off of your bike. Then keep the dog between and your bike. Use the bike like a shield. Swing your front wheel like a bat at the dog. I used this on a dog that chased me twice. I hit the dog in the mouth so hard that I thought I broke a spoke. The dog turned around and ran back into his yard.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are cracking me up man! I admittedly was thinking worst case scenario as I too have never had a problem. But the roads here in rural SC can be pretty rottwiler intensive compared to where I came from. Im not sure who all you "dog fighters" are, but I think fighting with a pit bull is not high on the option list. But im impressed by your bravado. Oh, and I ride plenty fast thank you very much, but not light speed to overtake a dog or human who has an angle and head start on me. Funny part is, I first had this helpless feeling when I was red-lining at the top of hill going about 14mph and thinking, O.K. if a dog (or person) came at me right now, I would have nothing (temporarily) to outrun him. A VERY different feeling than when you are cruising at 23 mph and laughing at the dogs as you wiz by. The thought of spraying "halt" into the wind and dousing everybody behind me did give a laugh. I was just wondering if there was anything new in the past 20 years.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I've had some close calls while visiting my in-laws in Mississippi, but no actual bites or knock downs. Do people there not believe in fences?

I had one little shyty welsh corgi with a major attitude problem lunging at my leg and growling/snarling/barking wildly. He wanted a souvenier. My heart was pounding, adrenaline definately kicked in. I just pushed as hard as I could and out"ran" him. He was surprizingly fast for such short legs.... The workers at the construction site I raced by got a nice laugh out of it. Crappy little dog.... If it had taken me down I would have put some serious adrenaline induced hurt on that dog.

Same area, different day, house with 2 loose dogs who wanted to chase us. Enough to scare me and pump out the adrenaline. Out ran them, picked a different way home.

Worst one was some moron with his dog lose in the yard (again! What is it with these people?) There was a row of tall shurbs blocking view of that yard coming down the road. Just as we passed the shrubs damn dog came flying at us perpendicular to our forward motion. Ended up crossing the road between hubby and I, then chasing us for a bit. If it had hit either of our wheels, we would have been down, for sure. Stupid owner didn't even call the dog back.

I love dogs. But seriously... owners who have dogs that chase or won't stay in their own yard need to fence it or leash it. We have the same trouble when walking our dog (on a leash). Makes me so angry to be harmlessly walking our dog and have some stupid owner, nowhere around usually, with their aggressive dog free in the yard bounding over to "say hi". We've had some close calls. Hubby walks with a stick. We've had to use it. Our plan of action is that he stays to fend off the stray dog, and I take our dog and run to put distance between us. Works rather well. Puts a damper on a liesurely stroll, though.

I need a clamp for a stick on my bike, like Dr. House (TV show) does for his cane on his motorcycle!

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
For some reason I think dogs chase ladies more. Whenever I'm on a small group ride, they zero in on the ladies.

But, when Rover comes out, I try to determine if s/he's bored and wants to play, or is after some blood. Usually the rottweiler/pit bull types are out for blood. The retrievers etc are just out to play but could still knock you down.

Here's my escalation sequence:
- see and avoid
- shout "no" (fueled with adrenaline and a little p.o.'d for volume and intensity)
- raise dog-side hand in a striking motion, while again shouting
- if Rover comes in range, unclip and a swift well-aimed kick to the jaw usually settles things or at least backs 'em off so I can ride away.

I don't dismount. Sometimes I'll be slow just for safety, but usually I want to keep going.

Now, 2 legged dogs are a whole different problem.

· Registered
995 Posts
I live in east Texas where the country side is full of dogs-alive and dead as there is no requirement to contain the dogs. Sunday I did a ride I haven't done in several months and within 1.5 hrs I was chased by a total of 6 dogs. I carried by pepper spray (this is the only route I carry it on) and used it several times. I don't try to out sprint the dogs unless I'm confident that I'm going to win. Very few of the dogs will bit, but all of them are capable of creating a crash.

· Registered
100 Posts
i've had to pull the bike frame pump out to discourage fido. Some I've outrun, others that get the angle and the head start require more persuasion to return home. I love my dogs. But I would not hestitate to fend off charging fido with any means at my disposal.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Depending on the dog, I wouldn't count on winning a fight with one. If I can outrun one, I will. If it's got a good angle on me I'll slow down & see what it's going to do. If it approaches I'll give it a shot with the water bottle. That's almost always very effective. If that doesn't work I'll get off the bike, keeping the bike between the dog and me. I also alternate talking to the dog - No! Go Home! Stop! Out! - and yelling for help at the nearest house. Am I embarrased because I yell for help? Nope! Not in the least.

· Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
I don't have too much of a problem in Beaufort County, as we have a good, well-enforced pet containment ordinance. If I go out to neighboring Hampton, Jasper, or Colleton Counties, I carry my side arm, same if I visit family way out in Darlington County, but not if I'm with a group of strangers. I do have a concealed weapon permit for South Carolina.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
sbglax13 said:
I like to entertain the idea that I would win in a man v. dog fight. I will no doubt be bitten couple of times but my strategy would be to get it around the neck and maybe of its feet to immobilize it. Use a nice sleeper hold to finish it off. I have a plan to fight black bears and terrorists as well... just in case. might as well be prepared.
I have only been riding since the spring but I've never encountered any dogs. Are dogs really such a problem for many cyclists?
OP: sorry i couldnt be more helpful.
I guess it depends on several factors, how large are you, how large is the dog, how aggressive is the dog.

A couple of stories

1) riding along, see pit bull (~65-75 lbs) on other side of fence running along with me, then he starts to drift away from the fence, I slow wondering what he is doing, I look up to see an open gate a few yards deeper onto the property, he makes it around and out. I stop hold my bike at sholder level and start screaming NO NO and move toward the dog like I mean business. He begins to back down and I'm working my way past him to continue on, BUT my NO, NO alerts the rottwieler (> 110 lbs). Now the pit gets a bit more courage and both begin to come at me. I was lucky enough to be able to jump back on my bike and outrun them. I didn't have any fantasy about winning that fight.

2) I have a 65 lb mixed-breed dog (part lab?? part rottwieler), she and her mother (lab mix??) got into a fight. She bites down on mom. I try to separate (I know I'm not supposed to, but could help it) I pound her on the head to make her let mom go. At that time I was about 185 solid (I can provide bench, squat, etc weights to verify). My punch didn't even phase her. I was barely able to pry her jaws open enough make her let go of mom (vet said new house and mom having cancer caused dominance challenge). The dog never bit me, but I realized if she wanted to, I would be lucky to stop her.

If you are attacked by a dog (big dog, NO goldens, or min. poodles) and fight it into submission, please post the story. It would be really interesting to read.

· Registered
638 Posts
I usually take a route home from work that goes thru the nearby countryside. There's a farm house that usually has several loose dogs that come out after me. Lately there's been a particularly fast dog there that's a real challenge to keep ahead of. I usually manage to out run him - barely. But last week I decided to do something different for a change. When he came out I stopped and just stood there. He stopped barking and was looking at me curiously. I tried to call him over and he had started coming closer but then his friend(a smaller black dog) finally notices me there and comes out barking. So I decide it's time to leave. So now the two of them give chase but they end up running down the road ahead of me! I had to speed up to catch up with them. There's a 90-degree turn in the road and this is where the dog's always decide it's time to turn around.

About a year ago I tried the same thing, stopping and seeing what the dog would do. This was a different dog, when I tried to call to him he just stood there wagging his tail but was too timid to come over.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.