Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own and am very happy with a 2002 Giant OCR ELITE 1 which came with Campy Proton wheels. I live in California's Central Valley which is pretty flat with some rolling hills here and there. Lately ive been considering buying a pair of Eurus or Zonda wheels, I have also noticed that some stores sell the Protons at a higher price than the Zondas. Should I just keep my Protons and be happy with them? Thank you. Morgan

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
it depends on why you want new wheels. the eurus/zonda will give you that "modern look" to your bike. as for noticable performance improvement, probably not. Seems like most sub-$1000 factory built wheels offer good performance with weight in the 1500g-1700g (advertised) range. I think the mid-profile rims are mostly for aesthetics. as a general rule, look for reduction in rotational weight ( start outer edge of wheel and work your way in) for the biggest bang for your buck. That being said, protons are good durable wheels. If you want to make them a bit quicker, try a lighter weight tire, like the veloflex pave. they will shave 50g's off the business end of the wheel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fignon: Thank you for the reply concerning the Zondas I just purchased a new pair of them on Ebay for $300.00 and it was a super deal. I intend on keeping my Protons and maybe put them on a Colnago Active that id like to build sometime in the near future. Thanks again for your insight. Morgan

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Protons are the best bang for the buck wheels in the Campy line. They are nearly as light as the Neutrons at a fraction of the cost. They are also servicable by yourself or any bike shop.........not true of the Eurus and Neutron who have very un-friendly spoke designs that make things a tad harder if you need to true them. 1-thing.....switch out the paperweight quick-releases for some Titanium ones. God those Proton QR's are heavy!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
531 Posts
Protons great wheels

I used the Protons last season and loved them. Just change out those QR's to something light and your set. Hope you like the Zonda's you order from EBay. I almost bought the Zonda's, but got a killer deal on the Protons. It was a good choice. All Campy and Fulcrum wheels rock. I love Campy! Campy rocks and is sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts