Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding (and loving) my new poprad, I'm considering bringing most of the components over from my road bike, full Centaur group and proton wheels. My question is, will the protons hold up during off-road excursions? I'm usually around 190-200, but I'm currently pushing 220:eek: Anyways, I love the wheels, and would consider buying another set for different tires, but only if they're not going to require constant maintenance. BTW, I have 1500ish road miles on them now and they spin beautifully and are perfectly true, even with my weight. Thanks all.

· Registered
126 Posts
Raced two seasons so far on my old Electrons and haven't had to touch them. They have been perfect. I know of a few folks who have used the tubular versions as well for cross and like them.

Only used them on race course set ups...no mtn bike type single track with big roots and drop offs. I go about 150lbs during race season.

JT

· duh...
9,749 Posts
early Protons (black hub, black rim, straight-pull spokes, but not first year model with grey rim) are great wheels, stiff, strong, durable... newer models use a different hub, a bit of a downgrade IIRC

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
The front proton wheel is light, stiff and durrable. Although the front hub was repaired. I had trouble with the rear; loose spokes, out of true often... re-built with a 36 hole record laced 3x to an OP, never any trouble. Thinking about rebuilding on tubulars, velocity escapes, or OS gel330/ gel280's w/ 36 DT rev.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well they are strong but I wouldn't suggest

a radially spoked front wheel, radial 2x rear for a clydesdale for cx. I'm you size ish and I'd stick to 3x lacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.