Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spotted by one of the Masi-ophiles on CR--a retro modern Masi Gran Criterium on eBay auction.

Auction text states that is was built by Ciocc out of Spirit tubing for possible distribution in Europe.

The CR observer thinks those are Ritchie [edit: Richard Sachs' Nouvo Ritchie] lugs...

I want! But too small for me.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure the attribution is correct--look at this Ceeway Page--Nuovo Ritchie (maybe 1/3 the way down the page)--although they show the bottom head lug with the cable guide attached...

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
interesting... fat tubes, extended head tube, alberto's name (yeah I know he's making them in milan)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like the lugs. However, this must be for Masi USA not Milano, which is the new name for Masi since Masi can no longer use his father's name on his bikes, which was bought out by Masi USA. Also, i believe you are correct with the subcontracting part. Reports indicate that Masi or Milano3V of Italy no longer welds bikes.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you read the eBay ad, the seller is in Switzerland and he says it was produced as a prototype for possible European distribution.

AFAIK, the sale of the Masi name to the California investors was for the US market only; Alberto continued making bikes like the Prestige and 3V under the Masi name, although (mostly) when the Italian bikes were marketed in the US, they bore the "Milano" name.

For this comment and some more background, see Bob Hovey's (who has probably forgotten more about Masi-s that I will ever know) comment here on eBykr that mentions Alberto's Nuovo Prestige, but also notes that the Italian bikes (it included) were/are being made by subcontractors...

I don't know if the original split marketing has been maintained though, or if worldwide is now owned by Masi USA...(in turn owned (first licensed, then bought outright) by Haro, the BMX bike maker

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes, I've read Hovey's articles as well as Alberto's extensively in the past. I also confirmed the ebay posting about subcontracting since Masi of Italy no longer welds. My comments were brief and not an attempt to repeat volumes of information and history available on the web.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
paredown said:
If you read the eBay ad, the seller is in Switzerland and he says it was produced as a prototype for possible European distribution.

AFAIK, the sale of the Masi name to the California investors was for the US market only; Alberto continued making bikes like the Prestige and 3V under the Masi name, although (mostly) when the Italian bikes were marketed in the US, they bore the "Milano" name.

For this comment and some more background, see Bob Hovey's (who has probably forgotten more about Masi-s that I will ever know) comment here on eBykr that mentions Alberto's Nuovo Prestige, but also notes that the Italian bikes (it included) were/are being made by subcontractors...

I don't know if the original split marketing has been maintained though, or if worldwide is now owned by Masi USA...(in turn owned (first licensed, then bought outright) by Haro, the BMX bike maker
I know there was a recent legal "dustup" whether or not Haro/Masi could sell Masi branded bikes in the U.K.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
raymonda said:
I like the lugs. However, this must be for Masi USA not Milano, which is the new name for Masi since Masi can no longer use his father's name on his bikes, which was bought out by Masi USA. Also, i believe you are correct with the subcontracting part. Reports indicate that Masi or Milano3V of Italy no longer welds bikes.

I thought Masi was just no longer Masi in the USA?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What a frame... Would be awesome if those would become available.

Ended at $1075... A bargain for a unique frameset like that. If it were one size bigger I might have taken a chance to snag it.

I believe only custom builders in the US and UK are offering quality and detail like that right now. Tommasini and Zullo are up there as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts