Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote from Matt White from MSR:

"Yeah, I haven't been racing much this year. Now I'm going to start off. I'm going to be riding all the classics."

Today, like many teams without a top sprinter, Discovery is going to be trying to get into a break towards the end. "We don't really have a leader, we're just here for the ProTour," finished White.
Just there. Well, why don't they just carry water for the rest of the peleton then? Millions of dollars in salary budget and they're just 'there'?

Yeesh.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Spunout said:
Quote from Matt White from MSR:

Just there. Well, why don't they just carry water for the rest of the peleton then? Millions of dollars in salary budget and they're just 'there'?

Yeesh.
What do you expect when you make teams do races they have no interest in? Just one of the numerous problems with the ProTour.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Exactly...

Dwayne Barry said:
What do you expect when you make teams do races they have no interest in? Just one of the numerous problems with the ProTour.
Although, looking at Disco's lineup, they had some guys in there who could have done well, or maybe should have done well for this race. They had a pretty strong group of guys going into the race, so I'm not sure why things didn't shake out for them during MSR. Maybe Milram and QS were just too strong for the rest, haven't watched the video yet from the race, got it on the TiVo though. Albeit condensed OLN version, but I'll take it.

Then again, they're probably saving themselves up for the Belgian/Northern France campaign coming up. They're always targeted those races more aggressively. Not to take anything away from MSR, as it's a beautiful race, and one that just about every Italian dreams of winning one day.

This is where the ProTour does kind of stink in my opinion, essentially like Dwayne said, making teams do races that they have no interest in, doesn't help that team, doesn't help the race any, it just makes sure that the top teams are there for them, when, in some cases, it could give a smaller division 2 type team a better shot at getting into a big race here or there, showing their sponsors off, and maybe getting a win, or even possibly a podium placing. It stinks for the little guys because there are ProTour teams there that probably don't want to be there, and those smaller teams struggling for a spot at the table could be there instead trying to lay waste to the big timers.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
magnolialover said:
This is where the ProTour does kind of stink in my opinion, essentially like Dwayne said, making teams do races that they have no interest in, doesn't help that team, doesn't help the race any, it just makes sure that the top teams are there for them, when, in some cases, it could give a smaller division 2 type team a better shot at getting into a big race here or there, showing their sponsors off, and maybe getting a win, or even possibly a podium placing. It stinks for the little guys because there are ProTour teams there that probably don't want to be there, and those smaller teams struggling for a spot at the table could be there instead trying to lay waste to the big timers.
Agreed.

Wasn't the main goal of the ProTour to get the best teams/riders into the best races? The result seems to be that the ProTour teams have a 'B' team which they send to all the races they don't care about. Not to say those riders don't care, I'm sure they're motivated to perform at any big race.

In a sense it accomplishes the same thing as having a D2 team there. The younger guys are out racing to get experience, they're just on PT teams now. It does limit sponsors moving up in the sport, which is a problem they have not yet solved.

Silas

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SilasCL said:
...The result seems to be that the ProTour teams have a 'B' team which they send to all the races they don't care about. Not to say those riders don't care, I'm sure they're motivated to perform at any big race.

In a sense it accomplishes the same thing as having a D2 team there. The younger guys are out racing to get experience, they're just on PT teams now....Silas
Exactly. But from my original post above, ****** doesn't even want to be there. I bet there were others who would have given their left nut to get on the start line of MSR!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts