Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Both my mom and dad are 78. But they really know how to live.

Dad rode a 16 mile road loop yesterday, then got into his kayak and paddled 3 miles each way for lunch with some buddies, only to cap that off with nine holes of golf. He just got his motorcycle license and has a season's pass to the local NH state ski area, where he's out on the boards when the lifts open every weekday they have snow.

Mom was a member of a squad that secured top spot in the NE Senior Tennis championships, she played three matches yesterday with girls 20 years younger, she's on the courts at least four days a week. She's a double breast cancer survivor and active Facebook fan and talented digital photographer. She's always asking me about the next new gadget - pretty sure I'd be a superhero if I got her an iPad for Xmas.

Mom and Dad, love you guys! Thanks for being my 'rents.

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
That's awesome! Those are the kind of folks who will live very long lives, staying active and keeping their bodies in shape.

My parents are about the same age (mom is 73, dad is 81) and while they're not exercise nuts, they keep their minds sharp. My mom just published her second book and continues to do her research in colonial Latin American history. My dad continues to work on archaeology projects, writing articles for academic publications. It's cool to see them keep active intellectually, hopefully warding off the kinds of problems that tend to effect older, less mentally active folks (dementia, Alzheimers, etc.).

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azpeterb said:
That's awesome! Those are the kind of folks who will live very long lives, staying active and keeping their bodies in shape.

My parents are about the same age (mom is 73, dad is 81) and while they're not exercise nuts, they keep their minds sharp. My mom just published her second book and continues to do her research in colonial Latin American history. My dad continues to work on archaeology projects, writing articles for academic publications. It's cool to see them keep active intellectually, hopefully warding off the kinds of problems that tend to effect older, less mentally active folks (dementia, Alzheimers, etc.).
Good stuff!

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Good stuff!
It's older people like this who should serve as a guide to all of us on how to handle ourselves as we age. It is SO important to stay fit physically and mentally as you age. If you do that, barring disease or injury, you will live a long and healthy life.

Funny story: my grandfather was 96 y.o. and after dealing with serious cardiac problems for a while, they stuck him in a hospice to spend his last days. But the old guy just wouldn't die. In fact, he was driving the young nurses there crazy because he kept hitting on them, giving them little pats on the butt, etc. He was a very handsome Latino man, always loved the ladies, and he wouldn't let the fact that he was 96 slow him down. They finally kicked him out of the hospice and he made it 2 more years before finally dying at 98. I hope to be just like him if I can live that long....living life with a passion, doing things my way and defying the odds....and keeping the ladies on their toes! :D

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Thanks for sharing Cooper. Brings back memories for me when both my folks were still alive. I only wish my dad had been that active, he might still be with us.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yep, this is awesome! I hope to be livin' like that when I'm that age.

My parents aren't quite as old, but they too are really active and it makes me happy for them. They only problem is that they are so busy and travel so much that they won't watch my dog for me when I'm out of the country next year. Oh, and they keep on spending my inheritance on fancy vacations:)

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
That's awesome. My dad is approaching 70 and still runs his "retirement" business as a mineral collector. Will strap on 30lbs of gear and hike up and down mountain ranges all over Nevada. Then when he finds what he's looking for he'll hike out with 100lbs of rocks and equip on his back. Even I don't enjoy doing that. He kicks my tail on any climb.

My mom has had health problems but is still hiking 3 miles up the creek next to their house though everyday with the dogs. She just falls a lot due to her meds which leaves her constant bruise.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
Coop -- Impressive.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ridgetop said:
That's awesome. My dad is approaching 70 and still runs his "retirement" business as a mineral collector. Will strap on 30lbs of gear and hike up and down mountain ranges all over Nevada. Then when he finds what he's looking for he'll hike out with 100lbs of rocks and equip on his back. Even I don't enjoy doing that. He kicks my tail on any climb.

My mom has had health problems but is still hiking 3 miles up the creek next to their house though everyday with the dogs. She just falls a lot due to her meds which leaves her constant bruise.
:thumbsup:

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
I read your post and thought about it for awhile. You are a lucky guy. My parents are the opposite and sometimes wish they were looking for something more than the inside of their home. Great poast.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
You are so lucky. With both my parents gone I'm kind of sad I didn't get to know them as an adult.

So my wife's folks fill that bill.

My father-in-law is going to be 86, he just had a scary episode but seems to be back to his good old self and has a few "projects" in the works. An old ham radio guy from way back he's got a recent iMac and is "with it" on Facebook and everything which is great.

I'm happy he survived to attend the recent family reunion a couple of weeks ago.

His wife she's a longtime swimmer and cyclist and seems to be doing well-ish too.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Great post Coop...

Sounds like they learned the same lesson as my mom, who is in her late 80s and only now slowing down: "Use it or lose it," she would say.

One of my friends' parents got the bug after the dad had his second cardiac "incident" in his late 50s--mom started cooking healthy, both parents started exercising (including weight lifting for seniors) and the mom told me that they were healthier in their 70s than they had been in their 40s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts