Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ProWheelBuilder.com

I have been trying to contact ProWheelBuilder.com via email and phone.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Popping advertisements? The phone isn't working - call back? Slick, polished appearance? This smells of a scam. I've seen a nearly identical website selling top-line bicycles for sweet prices - that was out of Indonesia and the person was a crook.

I'd walk/run away from this "outfit." If you want wheels built, there are quite a few good choices with lots of references here in the USA - and they do answer the phone.

Caveat Emptor.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a hold of them today by phone. They are in Vegas and apperently too busy building wheels to answer emails and phone inquiries.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I have bought a wheel from them using their online interface - worked fine and the wheel arrived built as asked for no issues.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rich is the owner and a great guy, but sometimes hard to get a hold of. He will always get back to you, but it may take time because he is just trying to keep up with all the builds. He builds sick wheels at good prices. His knowledge is unbelievable when it comes to wheel building and cycling in general.

I would try him on the phone again and let him know that you are not happy.

BTW, he helped with the Southern Nevada Stage Race all weekend, so I am sure he got a little backed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased wheels from Rich at Prowheelbuilder. Talked to him on the phone, always professional and a big help. He even contacted me to see if everything is O.K.

I will buy again.

alliegator

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
alliegator said:
I purchased wheels from Rich at Prowheelbuilder. Talked to him on the phone, always professional and a big help. He even contacted me to see if everything is O.K.

I will buy again.

alliegator

+1...He built me a perfect set of Dura Ace track/ Aerohead wheels...perfectly true. great service

·
Registered
330 Posts
Puchnuts said:
Popping advertisements? The phone isn't working - call back? Slick, polished appearance? This smells of a scam. I've seen a nearly identical website selling top-line bicycles for sweet prices - that was out of Indonesia and the person was a crook.

I'd walk/run away from this "outfit." If you want wheels built, there are quite a few good choices with lots of references here in the USA - and they do answer the phone.

Caveat Emptor.
That's the impression I got, but seeing as I had a small purchase only, I figured I'd give it a shot, spend $20 and get what I needed.

The site wouldn't take my credit card, but I put a call in and it was all sorted out, no scam at all.

All I got were colored spokes... not exactly a huge purchase, but they were glad to help.

·
Registered
832 Posts
padawan716 said:
That's the impression I got, but seeing as I had a small purchase only, I figured I'd give it a shot, spend $20 and get what I needed.

The site wouldn't take my credit card, but I put a call in and it was all sorted out, no scam at all.

All I got were colored spokes... not exactly a huge purchase, but they were glad to help.
Glad to hear this. There are a lot of sharks surfing these waters. One look in one's email confirms this. Want some North Korean ******? :eek:

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the past few days I have had several conversations with Rich, via phone & email.
I have placed an order from him for 2 custom built wheelsets. All it took was a little correspondence and due diligence on both our parts. Rich is an online wheelbuilder/merchant/artisan/guru who is busy building custom wheels - some of them are mine so leave him alone and let the man work. :D
Thanks for all the referrals, they were instrumental in my decision making process.
I'll keep you all posted as to how they turn out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here in Las Vegas

He's here in Las Vegas, Nevada.
He also owns/runs ProCyclery, a bike shop here in town as well.
... and he also puts on a few Rides/Races each year too.
Overall a good guy from what I've heard, no complaints.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
bad first impression

I ordered a 36-hole Mavic 317 rim, just as offered on their site. I figured I could count on some pretty good shipping time from Las Vegas to Tucson. A week goes by and I email them asking whether the order had shipped yet. The response tells me they had to special order the rim, but it should ship in a couple days. They say up front on their policy page
"If there is a problem such as back ordered product / unavailable we will contact you as soon as possible."
Five days later and no update, no contact, so I cancelled the order. It took them a matter of minutes to charge my account after my order, now I'll see how long it takes them to refund my money.
I'll order the rim from Harriscyclery.com. It has to ship all the way across the country from Massachusetts to Tucson and will still only cost a couple dollars more. Plus, in my experience, if there is a problem, their "as soon as possible" is at least a week sooner.

·
Registered
460 Posts
considering an order for White H2 hubs, Velocity rims sapic spokes > First set of custom builds..........any criticism of these or the probuilder in Vegas..looking for light stong wheels ....was considering ardennes byHED... any advice appreciated. for use on a colnago for training climbing wheels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check here...

Recieved my Edge Composite 45c / Sapim CX Ray blk / American Classic. from Rich at Pro Wheel Builder
They are spot on true with near perfect tention all around. And they roll like nobody's business. They put my 404's & my Bora Ultras to shame. I also have a set of 38c coming later this week with a Power Tap SL+. I would highly reccomend Prowheelbuilder.com for your custom wheels.

Posted elsewhere in Wheels and Tires @ 2009 EDGE 45mm...

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ROGER79 said:
Recieved my Edge Composite 45c / Sapim CX Ray blk / American Classic. from Rich at Pro Wheel Builder
They are spot on true with near perfect tention all around. And they roll like nobody's business. They put my 404's & my Bora Ultras to shame. I also have a set of 38c coming later this week with a Power Tap SL+. I would highly reccomend Prowheelbuilder.com for your custom wheels.

Posted elsewhere in Wheels and Tires @ 2009 EDGE 45mm...
I resemble those remarks :D

Rich's wheel building skills are 2nd to none. My Edge Composite 45c / Sapim CX Ray blk / American Classic custom built wheels are fantastic. He is extremely knowledgeable and if you have the time, you will definitely learn a thing or two about wheel tech. I've ordered 3 wheelsets from him so far. I've received the 45c's, I am anticipating the 38c / PowerTap SL+ / Sapim CX Ray later this week, and also have a set of IRD Niobium Cadence / DT Swiss Comp / American Classic hubs next week...

Best advice: Talk to Rich on the phone before you place your wheel order and ask him for his advise.
Order well in advance of when you need them & BE PATIENT!
Rich is a wheel building guru / business owner/operator / husband / father etc.

You want it when...?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My first two orders from Prowheelbuilder.com has been a huge waste of money. Maybe they are under new management? Please don't waste your money...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Used Prowheelbuilder for my very first set of custom built wheels over the winter. They were built with in the time frame the specified and they even shipped them express they get an A+ in my book.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts