1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'vascular catastrophe'??? sheesh

8 drugs doctors wouldn't take

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777955/page/2/

Pseudoephedrine

Forget that this decongestant can be turned into methamphetamine. People with heart disease or hypertension should watch out for any legitimate drug that contains pseudoephedrine. See, pseudoephedrine doesn't just constrict the blood vessels in your nose and sinuses; it can also raise blood pressure and heart rate, setting the stage for vascular catastrophe. Over the years, pseudoephedrine has been linked to heart attacks and strokes. "Pseudoephedrine can also worsen symptoms of benign prostate disease and glaucoma," says Dr. Rodgers.

Your new strategy: Other OTC oral nasal decongestants can contain phenylephrine, which has a safety profile similar to pseudoephedrine's. A 2007 review didn't find enough evidence that phenylephrine was effective. Our advice: Avoid meds altogether and clear your nasal passages with a neti pot, the strangely named system that allows you to flush your sinuses with saline ($15, sinucleanse.com). University of Wisconsin researchers found that people who used a neti pot felt their congestion and head pain improve by as much as 57 percent. Granted, the flushing sensation is odd at first, but give it a chance. Dr. Roizen did: "I do it every day after I brush my teeth," he says.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I miss old Nyquil

If I could still get ahold of the old Nyquil, I'd take it. Couple years ago I had a bad cold, the kind where you want to stay in bed for two days. Managed to get to the drug store to get Nyquil, except it didn't work. Only then did I discover the formula had been changed because of meth heads.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Doxylamine Succinate (found in nyquil) is one of the worst things around.
Stays in the system a long time, causes disorientation, very dangerous
substance. I don't even know who to thank about my allergies basically
'not happening' this year, I had similarly bad side-effects from psuedoephredine.
Elevated heart rate, blood pressure, and several other bad side-effects that
negatively affected training. If I may be so bold (and as for myself) the less
prescription drugs the better. Blood pressure meds are also a nightmare
for my training. Most drugs don't affect Joe Lethargy, but any active person
would be better off going without.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jorgy said:
If I could still get ahold of the old Nyquil, I'd take it. Couple years ago I had a bad cold, the kind where you want to stay in bed for two days. Managed to get to the drug store to get Nyquil, except it didn't work. Only then did I discover the formula had been changed because of meth heads.
claritin-d has become the cold relief drug now. it still has pseudophedrine.

just pop a tylenol, and take a shot or 2 of rum ;)

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bas said:
claritin-d has become the cold relief drug now. it still has pseudophedrine.
yeah, but you have to get it from a pharmacist now and sign your name into the potential meth head database.

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
I have been using a product called Alkalol for the past 5 years. Sinus and seasonal allergy symptoms have decreased tremendously to the point of not having to take medications.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
dwwheels said:
I have been using a product called Alkalol for the past 5 years. Sinus and seasonal allergy symptoms have decreased tremendously to the point of not having to take medications.
Alcohol? Works for me. :D

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Alcohol? Works for me. :D

NO.:D Alkalol. It is a product that one would use as nasal spray to relieve nasal congestion and or sinus/allergy problems. A lot cheaper than blow, hookers, and alcohol.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.