Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many threads discussing tire pressure, mostly suggesting that lower pressure is better, but I think these are mainly referencing clincher or tubeless.

What about tubular tires? Conti Sprinters are rated to 170psi, but surely riders are not pumping them that high? I thought one of the sewup's biggest advantage was lower pressures and pinch flat avoidance.

I use my 25c clinchers at 85psi/90psi f/r. Haven't been on sewups for years but can't imagine using those high pressures on the sidewalls.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
I pump em up to 100 psi then ride em till they get down to about 80. It's usually about a week and a half before I pump em up again.

150 psi - 170 psi is way too much, IMO. They ride super hard then.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Use whatever you want to use. Rated does not mean recommended so I don't even know why mention it. Pretty much every tire is rated to be able to handle higher than anyone in their right mind would ever use outside of a track. Nothing new or unique to this tire or tubular here.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use whatever you want to use. Rated does not mean recommended so I don't even know why mention it. Pretty much every tire is rated to be able to handle higher than anyone in their right mind would ever use outside of a track. Nothing new or unique to this tire or tubular here.
I understand, but I am more pointing to the possibility of a different approach for the tubulars as opposed to my clinchers. Seems I could go even lower with the sewups than the clinchers.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Most people say tubulars are less prone to pinch flats than clinchers but if that is because of the rim shape and tire construction or if it's just because people tend to use butyl in clinchers and tubulars tend to have latex I do not know. (latex tubes are definitely less prone to pinch flatting than butyl when everything else is equal.)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'm just trying to determine what pressures to start out with. Guess I will start at the same PSIs that I use for my clinchers and see how they feel.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,195 Posts
If you are racing on a perfectly flat road, you might find just a tiny bit of advantage to pumping your tire up to 175 psi. In that case, sure, go for it! I once actually pumped up a set of Sprinters to 160 psi (pump wouldn't go any higher..), and predictably, the ride was terrible.

Also, tubulars just don't pinch-flat; it's due to the rim profile. Has nothing to do with the tubes.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said, the reason I am wondering what to run for pressure is because I'm sure most discussions are focused on clincher and tubeless tires rather than sewups. I'm happy to run the same pressure on my 25mm sewups as that I run on my 25mm clinchers if they are apples and apples, but I'm thinking they might not be and the sewup requires something higher than the clincher.

I'll only know through trial and error. Have not ridden tubulars since racing days and I cannot even recall what pressures I used then. Guess it was too long ago!

·
Registered
21,511 Posts
As I said, the reason I am wondering what to run for pressure is because I'm sure most discussions are focused on clincher and tubeless tires rather than sewups. I'm happy to run the same pressure on my 25mm sewups as that I run on my 25mm clinchers if they are apples and apples, but I'm thinking they might not be and the sewup requires something higher than the clincher.

I'll only know through trial and error. Have not ridden tubulars since racing days and I cannot even recall what pressures I used then. Guess it was too long ago!

Pressure is not going to make a significant difference in rolling resistance but lower pressures mean better wear, better traction, and more comfort. Pressures should not be significantly different for tubulars and clinchers unless you start in the wrong place with the clinchers and find a better result because you are willing to experiment with the tubualrs.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,391 Posts
If you are racing on a perfectly flat road, you might find just a tiny bit of advantage to pumping your tire up to 175 psi. In that case, sure, go for it! I once actually pumped up a set of Sprinters to 160 psi (pump wouldn't go any higher..), and predictably, the ride was terrible.

Also, tubulars just don't pinch-flat; it's due to the rim profile. Has nothing to do with the tubes.
Oh yes they do. A lot less likely than clinchers, it is due to the rim shape.

Nope, the whole reason to use tubulars on the road is you can run less pressure and they're less prone to pinch flat. The general cycling populace is very confused about tire pressure in general and tubular pressure in particular.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think what makes it confusing is that between my 25c clincher and 25c tubular, the former's sidewall states 100-130 psi whereas the tubular sidewall states 175psi. In all likelihood I will be running lower pressure in the tubulars than in the clinchers.

·
15,391 Posts
That's because you can probably blow a clincher off a rim but it's not possible w/ a tubular.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,433 Posts
I think what makes it confusing is that between my 25c clincher and 25c tubular, the former's sidewall states 100-130 psi whereas the tubular sidewall states 175psi. In all likelihood I will be running lower pressure in the tubulars than in the clinchers.
The only reason to run over 100 psi on any 25mm tire is if you are over 200 lbs. 175 psi is just cray-cray unless you get your thrills by being bounced around. I guess that's safer than bull riding.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,195 Posts
FWIW, track racers often run with VERY high pressures in their tubulars, but then again they are also often riding on 19mm wide tires.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,433 Posts
FWIW, track racers often run with VERY high pressures in their tubulars, but then again they are also often riding on 19mm wide tires.
They are also riding on glass-smooth surfaces.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I was not trying to advocate for high pressures. Rather I was curious about the sidewall pressure ratings between a 25c clincher and a 25c tubular with the tubular "rated" so much higher. As for me, if I am running around 90psi in the Rubino Pro clinchers, I am going to run about the same 90psi in the Sprinters.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,195 Posts
Just try riding on a really soft tubular and tell is that they won't pinch flat.
Well, I've run tubulars as low as about 50 psig on the front on roads with really awful pavement before and never once pinch-flatted in 40+ years of riding tubulars. Considering that the sidewalls of those old Conti Giros I used to run were pretty thin, I'd say that if it were possible to pinch-flat by doing something short or ramming a curb or riding over a metal beam, I probably would've done it at least once in my life. They certainly flatted damn easily...

As to CX; well, man, you do cyclocross and you guys run over all sorts of crap in the fields and forest trails that you just don't see on the road. You also tend to run some seriously low pressures, too. Even I could pinch-flat my tubulars if I only pumped them up to 25 psig and hit them with a hammer...

·
15,391 Posts
I've seen them pinch flat on the road. At 80-90psi. 25psi for cx? That's kind high, most ride in the high teens.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thing I always wonder about, what role does too high a psi play in "squaring off" the tire tread? I guess for all tires, clincher and sewup. In other words, if I have been running 120psi on a 25c clincher whereas for comfort I probably should have been running 90psi, is my mistake causing premature flat spotting the tires? For anyone who has lowered their pressures, do you notice the tires lasting longer?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts