Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently converted my MTB tires over to slicks. The tires say 45-85 psi but the inner tubes say nothing as far as a psi limit. This makes no sense, wouldn't the inner tube have a psi limit before the tires?

So I changed one of the tires and was inflating it when I blew the inner tube. I only hit 70 psi. My LBS said it could have been a faulty tube. I have replaced that tube and put the other wheel on but I'm leaving it at 65 psi in fear of it busting again. I'm just wondering if the tube has a lower limit than the tires, or if my tire pump could be inaccurate? Any ideas?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you have the tire fully seated in the rim? It is very likely that the tube blew because you did not have the tire bead seated in the rim and the tube blew out. Make sure you inflate to about 20 psi and then check that the tire bead is fully seated. Then you can inflate to the maximum of the tire. I inflate my road tires to 120 psi all the time with tubes that do not give a max psi. The tube will not blow by itself (having inflated many thousands as a bike mechanic for 8 years).

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Thinking it through

Whadabala said:
The tires say 45-85 psi but the inner tubes say nothing as far as a psi limit. This makes no sense, wouldn't the inner tube have a psi limit before the tires?
The inner tube is pressed up against the rim and the tire. Where could it go, regardless of the pressure, unless the rim or the tire failed first? Are you suggesting that 85 psi could compress the rubber of the tube so much that it would somehow fail? Just what possible mechanism could you propose for such a failure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.