Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys gracefully get out of your bibs/shorts after a ride in public? I've seen some people use a towel wrapped around their waist or a skirt (which allows them to pull down the shorts). What do you guys do? It seems like I've heard of some type of skirt that is made specifically for this purpose.
Thanks for any input!

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I just use a towel. But I live in Hawaii and it's pretty much de rigueur to see surfers, cyclists et al. changing clothes like this.

I once saw a woman use a changing tent thingy that covered from the neck down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I keep a sarong in my gear bag.
Take off the jersey and slip the bib straps down pretty far. Put the sarong on high and wiggle out of the bibs.
I ride mostly near the beach so I'll put on a bathing suit and get a shower and use the changing room. If you can't do that then baby wipes will clean you up a little.
Cars with tinted windows are nice too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a changing robe. Not the same as the one in the link above, but very similar. The other suggestions towels, skirts etc also work.

If you are near your car, you can also change between two open doors. Just stare down any looky loos.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
I change when I get home. To keep the car seat clean and dry, I bring a towel and cover the driver seat after I dry myself with it.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,358 Posts
Car door suffices most times. A towel when it doesn't, maybe. But really I don't care if someone gets a glance beyond those measures. Cyclists, surfers, etc... most just don't care because it is such a common thing to do. So don't worry about it. But since you want to be covered ...

I would suggest a BIG rain poncho, since you can change under it and it will serve other purposes. Like if you have a break down while driving in the rain, even going to work that will be a help to keep you from getting out of sorts all day at the office. Or if it rains before the race (cloudburst/short rain), you can throw it over the bike to keep things dry and lubed. Or to spread out to lay parts on when doing repairs. Lots of things you can use a rain poncho for.

Buy one, put it in the car, use it as needed/desired.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, this. "Car door suffices most times. A towel when it doesn't, maybe. But really I don't care if someone gets a glance beyond those measures. Cyclists, surfers, etc... most just don't care because it is such a common thing to do. So don't worry about it. But since you want to be covered ..."

There is usually a bit of a sense of "respect" among cyclists and I feel anyway, an unspoken agreement not to look, because everyone has to do it (change). If everyone was staring at everyone...well, what a mess that would be. So while I do use a changing robe, if my butt peeks out for a second, oh well...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.