Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, since I am not one for posterity, I do not have a true 'starting' photo of this bike. Sufficient to say that it was in pretty rough shape. I drilled out the front brake and used an extra 105 front brake and switched out the wheels to whatever stock wheels came on my wife's Specialized (original wheels were cooked). I flipped and chopped the handlebars and used an extra aero brake, converted the rear tire to single speed (yes was ridden as SS with only front brake - pretty stupid) and used it to commute to work. One day I got around to taking a photo of the bike in my office. I'll attach that. Only real thing to note is the rust/marring on the chainstay/seatstays (even visible with my phone camera). The underside of the bottom bracket looked like it had been drug down a country road.
View attachment 159782
So after a wreck riding home one day I decided perhaps this should be rebuilt and be used as a fixed gear also. I also decided that the bullhorn look wasn't right for me. After some garage work and some taping and spray painting - this is what it ended up looking like. I like it and I guess that's all that matters. If I had to do it over again I would not have tried to paint the lugs a different color using spray paint - that was a lot of tape. But then again I have a 10 month old daughter so perhaps I was just testing out my patience.
View attachment 159783

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
pic 1- the straps on that bag are designed to go through the seat rails, from the middle, then out and around the bag, and then clipped underneath

pic 2- that's a good bit of slack in that chain

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I second that chain comment.

But I think you need blue toestraps/powergrips, white saddle and you're good to go

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true by two

1. Good to know - honestly that was from my wife's bike too and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get the slack to go away. I don't use it on a bike now but if I do in the future - well that saves some time.

2. Probably right. It isn't set all the way back in the dropout but even so it's a little loose. It is not totally ready for riding at this point so I will take a gander at removing a link or 15.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Do you have Popeye's forearms or just use that saddle tilt to slide onto the top tube when the chain falls off?

Nice grill.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Your title had me all excited about one of those old Austrian Puchs. Bummer.

Nice paint job, though.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I am not usually a 'Blue' person, but I like this a lot.
Nice going

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly my upper body is built more like Olive Oils. Save for above the neck - then you're talking more like Brutus (or was it Bluto?). I'll finish off the analogy with the appetite of Wimpy and potentially the disposition of Popeye after a few brews.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I commute on a Reynolds 531 Puch painted Krylon blue.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts