Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of playing two hours of hard core tennis the morning after an 80 miler out to Tewksbury NJ (all climbing) on Sunday and pulled my left calf muscle. There's no swelling or discoloration, just pain when I walk or climb stairs. No pain at all while sitting or driving.

Does anyone have experience with this injury? Any suggestions of healing times and stretching therapy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

· Registered
21,834 Posts
RICE is nice

mr meow meow said:
I made the mistake of playing two hours of hard core tennis the morning after an 80 miler out to Tewksbury NJ (all climbing) on Sunday and pulled my left calf muscle. There's no swelling or discoloration, just pain when I walk or climb stairs. No pain at all while sitting or driving. Does anyone have experience with this injury? Any suggestions of healing times and stretching therapy would be greatly appreciated.
The "no swelling, no discoloration" is interesting, in that you would expect one or both if it really is a torn muscle. Perhaps the discoloration will come. At any rate, the standard treatment is RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. After 48 hours or so, you can switch to heat to speed the healing. If you have a burning desire to stretch, be VERY gentle. I would not recommend stretching if it really is a torn muscle - think about it.

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
I did it in January

It hurts. I went on a run on a cold morning with cold muscles and pulled a calf muscle. Stupidly, thinking it was a minor strain, I ran again two days later and OUCH!! Bad pull. I was done for 5 weeks.

First and foremost: Rest. Don't stress it. It will take a minimum of 2 weeks to heal. Minimum. My mistake: I felt fine after 10 days then reinjured it 'cause I would run or ride. Dumb.

RICE: as Kerry said. Plus lots of advil

When the acute pain is gone, start with mild stretching. Sit on your tush, grab a towel with both hands, loop it around your foot and pull lightly to stretch the muscle. If it hurts, stop!! You can stand on your toes on stairs and push up and down. I remember walking stairs was killer. Heck, I walked with a limp off and on for 4 weeks.

My last bit of recommendation is this: when it feels healed, when you feel no pain, when your calf feels normal, still give it a few more days and take it easy. I didn't do this and quickly re-injured my calf.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.