Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a lot of looking, I bought the Swobo Del Norte today. I just couldn't find anything that I liked that had big tire clearance, two brakes, and all steel construction. I rode a Kona Paddy Wagon, a Bianchi San Jose, a Marin something-or-other, and a Swobo Crosby.

Nothing moved me like this little rocket. I'll probably ditch the red chain and chrome bar tape, though:

Swobo told me it'll take up to 700 X 40 tires, or 700 X 32 with fenders. Nice!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
BianchiJoe said:
After doing a lot of looking, I bought the Swobo Del Norte today. I just couldn't find anything that I liked that had big tire clearance, two brakes, and all steel construction. I rode a Kona Paddy Wagon, a Bianchi San Jose, a Marin something-or-other, and a Swobo Crosby.

Nothing moved me like this little rocket. I'll probably ditch the red chain and chrome bar tape, though:

Swobo told me it'll take up to 700 X 40 tires, or 700 X 32 with fenders. Nice!

sweet....are the brakes long reach?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skyliner1004 said:
why do u need 32 tires? and 40??? wt...
Vittoria Randonneur cross and touring tires come in 700 X 35. I dig 'em for off-road/bad road/dirt road/gravel paths.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I like it a lot! I would lose the chrome bar tape but actually like the chain.

For the record, I think the IRO Phoenix or the WTF (looks like the same frame) might have also fit your specifications. I'm considering one of those right now as my "beater and park at the subway" bicycle since my current beater is too big a frame and extremely uncomfortable.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Congrats! Very nice...

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Hawt.

I assume that take road hubs and not track hubs?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a wicked looking bike! Nice one. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mikkelz said:
That's a wicked looking bike! Nice one. :)
Thanks. I'll put some pictures up soon.

I replaced the handlebar -- too narrow, WAY too long of a reach and way too deep drops. I put on a 42cm Salsa Pro Road bar that feels much better.

The two-sided (clipless/platform) pedals are a good idea in theory, but the platform side is narrow and I don't like flipping a pedal to get started, so I just mounted some Redline platforms I had in the garage. For long rides I'll put on my 2-sided Ritchey clipless.

Other than that, it's a sweet ride. I'm running a 42 X 18 for the hills and my aging knees, but I still have the original 17T freewheel if I decide the 63-inch gear is too light.

It was a solid build and came with lots of grease in all the right places. It's reasonably light (made lighter with the bar swap), and all-day comfortable.

Should definitely be on your list of considerations if you're looking for a < $750 SS steel road bike.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Big tire clearance is why I got my Surly Steamroller. That Swobo looks nice, too. Minus the chain and tape, like you said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts