Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 'lightly used' Brooks B-17 on the evil-Bay. From the photos it looks to be in near new condition.:cool:

I've been wanting to try a Brooks for some time now. And if I like it, I will be getting one for my other bike. (Likely a sprung version for the old Schwinn Suburban).

Anyway, my 'new-to-me' B-17 does not come with Proofide or tension wrench. :( So should I haunt eBay and get a Brooks maintenance kit (Proofide at least)? Or should I wait until I get up to Portland next month and have a reason to check out the bike shops there?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Buy a tin of Proofide off the internet. Doesn't cost much. Although I've heard of bikers using Cod Liver oil (which actually is in Profide), neatsfoot oil, mineral oil, olive oil, etc., etc., and some wacky breaking-in techniques like putting the saddle in a plastic bag and immersing it in oil for a few days.

Brook recommends Profide, so that's what I use on my B-17 (butchered and "swallowized"). After the first application, they recommend applying it once every 6 months, so I imagine the tin should last you for years!

·
Registered
507 Posts
You just got one of the best saddles in the world! Be sure and read the Sheldon Brown (RIP) essays on Brooks Saddles. He says never use the tension wrench, or something to that effect. Other good advice there, too. I apply mink oil (proofide or whatever) to the seating surface and underside of the saddles.

G

·
PomPilot said:
I just picked up a 'lightly used' Brooks B-17 on the evil-Bay. From the photos it looks to be in near new condition.:cool:

I've been wanting to try a Brooks for some time now. And if I like it, I will be getting one for my other bike. (Likely a sprung version for the old Schwinn Suburban).

Anyway, my 'new-to-me' B-17 does not come with Proofide or tension wrench. :( So should I haunt eBay and get a Brooks maintenance kit (Proofide at least)? Or should I wait until I get up to Portland next month and have a reason to check out the bike shops there?
Beeswax will work just as well, and is easier to find.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
toomanybikes said:
It will adjust
or YOU will adjust....

BOTTOM line...ohhh.......sorry.

I have a Brooks B-17 N with at least 25,000 on it...just adjusted it for the first time... I proofide it twice a year. I have another with maybe 5,000 that is not broken in yet really...I mean it is comfortable...but not like the other one...

BTW NEVER use neatsfoot oil it will over soften the leather reducing the life expectancy. I only weigh 130 pounds so your results may vary....

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
I got a new brooks b17 about 3 weeks ago and just picked up a can of proofide from the intrawebs, treated it last night and it did seem alittle more supple on my booty meatz this morning, could be placebo tho. I think the peeps that find discomfort in the "breaking in" process are those that arent used to riding lots and then step up their riding time when they get the brooks and blame the saddle soreness on the saddle. imo.

//proofide works well w/ doc martin's too:)

·
Done
4,591 Posts
It's The Leather....

gutfiddle said:
I got a new brooks b17 about 3 weeks ago and just picked up a can of proofide from the intrawebs, treated it last night and it did seem alittle more supple on my booty meatz this morning, could be placebo tho. I think the peeps that find discomfort in the "breaking in" process are those that arent used to riding lots and then step up their riding time when they get the brooks and blame the saddle soreness on the saddle. imo.

//proofide works well w/ doc martin's too:)
Brooks saddles do "break in" - the leather stretches a bit, especially where your sit bones in your butt rest. You get a pair of dimples in the leather. Interestingly, I was able to confirm the fact that my pelvis is slightly rotated a bit by looking at where the @ss-divots developed on my beloved Brooks Team Pro.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
Brooks saddles do "break in" - the leather stretches a bit, especially where your sit bones in your butt rest. You get a pair of dimples in the leather. Interestingly, I was able to confirm the fact that my pelvis is slightly rotated a bit by looking at where these @ss-divots developed on my beloved Brooks Team Pro.

Yeah,

I thought I was a symmetric kind of guy until I inspected the dimples in my brooks saddle.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
Brooks saddles do "break in" - the leather stretches a bit, especially where your sit bones in your butt rest. You get a pair of dimples in the leather. Interestingly, I was able to confirm the fact that my pelvis is slightly rotated a bit by looking at where these @ss-divots developed on my beloved Brooks Team Pro.

yep... and since I'm a relatively small person, I assumed I had narrow sit bones... The dimples in my Brooks proved that wasn't true... I thought a B17 narrow would be a good choice for me and it turns out the standard B17 is much more comfortable because of my wide sit bones

·
Done
4,591 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I put big ol' uneven divots in my Brooks-OTOH Miss M can ride a Brooks forever without discernable surface changes. Nothing like weighing south of 100 lbs soaking wet......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.